I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Ernie
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ernie is 9 months old now, and has had free reign of the back garden (fully enclosed, large grass patch with small patio area and kids barked play area).
Up until recently he has used the grass to do his business, but recently after discovering he can **** his leg, he has taken to weeing up absolutely everything, as well as starting to poo in the bark!

My Wife is at her wits end and we are now contemplating what to do to stop him. The obvious answer is to fence off the grass patch, but this has left us wondering, how much space does he actually need?

We walk him twice a day 45 mins a time at the moment (adhering to the 5 mins per month rule). Does he really need lots of room to move about outside?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
He is marking his territory. Completely normal for his age. I recommend speaking to your vet about this, who may recommend having him neutered.
When you walk him, does he have off lead time?

·
Registered
Ernie
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Yeah so we know it's normal, but we are wondering what we can do to mitigate it.
I did speak to the vet about having him neutered but the advice was it is best to leave it until they are fully developed, around 18 months.
His temperament and excitability levels are absolutely fine, it's just the weeing that is the problem. The other thing is he keeps weeing up himself and he absolutely stinks within 3 to 5 days of having a bath!

The latter problem I don't think there is much we can do about, but in terms of the garden and preventing him going everywhere, putting up some kind of picket fence I think is the best thing to do, but our concerns are more around how much space he actually needs.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Can you fence off the kids bark patch instead so everyone gets to share the bigger space and the kids bit is safe?

I would say its not just about space, its also about enrichment and my dogs enjoy sniffing around in the garden and having a good mooch rather than it just being a paved toilet area. If you do fence off the patio area that will concentrate the dogs urine in that one area so you will probably need to do regular cleaning of the fences and your pup will probably want more in terms of walks and/or play/training in the house.

·
Registered
Ernie
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah so that's what we were considering, i.e. fencing off the kids area, and the patio area - he has taken to weeing up a rather expensive outdoor furniture set, so he needs keeping away from that as well. He has quite a large grass patch to run up/down rather than paving, and this is where we want to keep him. The grass space itself is probably around 45 square meters, so not small but also not huge. Is this enough for him?

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Ah sorry I misunderstood what you were fencing off - I rather suspect fencing off the grass will be fine in the summer but a muddy mess in the winter though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts