I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is Pablo, he’s almost 5 month old F1b cockapoo. Everything is going quite well on the toilet training front. He sleeps all night in his crate downstairs. I’ve tried to build up the daytime leaving him alone, but he cries and howls while I’m out. He’s slightly better if the washing machine is on! I’ve got a trainer/behaviourist coming, but the earliest they can do is September. I would welcome peoples views please on whether I just keep leaving him, and hoping he gets used to it. Or try something different? I only leave him for 1-2 hours, a day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. Thanks! Yes I put him in his crate, for his own safety more than anything. He likes to try and eat everything!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't blame you... I do the same, skyla is just 5 months.
I was worried at 1st as she is such a great night sleeper in there it would put her off!
I've managed to get to an hour and half with her in there in the day left with no crying so far... It was a nightmare at 1st!
I just did 10, then 20 mins and so on.. where I would just go out to the garden and close the doors.. then come back and let her out big fuss over her.. also I'd always leave a worn hoodie or tshirt outside the crate... took about a week and eventually I was able to go out for an hr or so with no dramas and she settles.

They are all so different tho but worth a try if u havent already tried that method... but I'd say persistence paid off for me xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds great! I need to try building it up I think. I’ve left him for an hour a few times & recorded him and sometimes he cries, sometimes he doesn’t. I’ve read conflicting stuff about whether to fuss when you return. I guess each dog is different though, as you say.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's so hard isnt it..
Yeah me too but found the fussing for her works as it's like her treat to have a huge snuggle... if I let her out and ignore her when shes all over me for attention she'd feel she'd done wrong... but they are all so different.
Good luck sure we'll get there in the end.. huge learning curve this puppy parenting lol x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, same. He likes to fuss, and I was doing that. Then I got told I shouldn’t be! Thanks for your advice. Skyla looks beautiful x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts