I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we took Rocky out to the park and he was playing off lead with 4 other dogs....and he was the BIGGEST!!! :D
There were 2 wonderful little pugs (seperate owners), a black and a honey, a little cavalier (who wouldn't stop humping the honey pug) and a rather bolshy little jack russel. Rocky had a wonderful time playing with Ziggy, Julius, Casey and Douggie. Wish it could be like that every day for him, it was wonderful to watch :) xx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Sounds like lots of fun! I love it when we see lots of dogs out in the evening and always such a mixture of breeds! I met a 14 week Bichon tonight which looked like a little pom pom and last week met a Leonberger! OMG he was huge and the owner said he would still have about 8 stone to put on! :eek: He was amazing! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had to look up Leonberger...wow, would love to come accross one of those :D must cost a small fortune to feed though, imagine!!! :eek: x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Had to look up Leonberger...wow, would love to come accross one of those :D must cost a small fortune to feed though, imagine!!! :eek: x
That's what I thought! I wonder how many chicken carcasses it would take to fill him up! :eek:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It is lovely Ruth, it opens up a whole new world! I love the dog walks and I am really lucky, we have some lovely fields nearby and we regularly meet the same dogs and owners so you get to know them. :) The evening dog walk is my favourite part of the day at the moment, I just love watching the dogs playing and chasing each other and any opportunity for a natter with fellow dog owners is always fine with me! :D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It is lovely Ruth, it opens up a whole new world! I love the dog walks and I am really lucky, we have some lovely fields nearby and we regularly meet the same dogs and owners so you get to know them. :) The evening dog walk is my favourite part of the day at the moment, I just love watching the dogs playing and chasing each other and any opportunity for a natter with fellow dog owners is always fine with me! :D
:D I can't wait! Although living in a city there are lots of scary dogs about :( the majority of dogs I have seen in my area are pit bull types. I know not to judge a book by it's cover but then I see their owners and wonder about the poor dogs :(

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We have a few staffies and staffie crosses around here and they are all different. There is a little girl Bella who is lovely and very well trained, a big staffie crossed with a Mastiff who is as soft as anything but because he jumps up can be a bit scary for the kids. Sadly there is a family who have a staffie cross (but actually looks like a pitbull) and they let him escape and run around on his own. He is unneutered, treated badly and the owners have been reported to the local dog warden. It has recently nearly killed another dog and bitten a person. :( It is nearly always the irresponsible owners sadly who cause the problems. Another reason why I am always wary of unknown dogs when out walking. Could they be Staffie crosses or pitbulls?

You never know they might be nice dogs! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly, taking the risk might be the end of our little cockapoo, so its a risk I can't take. I always put Rocky back on his lead if I see a staffie/cross. He is terrible for jumping all over other dogs, not having learned greeting etiquette yet. We say "hello" to as many dogs as possible and I have to say that many of these types of dogs...even when the owner says "yes, its ok" are very aggressive, growling, snarling and pulling towards him. I wouldn't trust most of them as far as I could throw them. They are bred as fighting dogs and even if trained well (which, in my opinion, most of them are not and are often used as a status symbol, "my dog is hard...therefore I am hard...don't mess with me") they still have the genetic disposition and most certainly, the potential, to do terrible damage to another dog (or human). I am extremely nervous of these dog for that reason.
x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Laney, that is very sad. There are some idiots around here with staffie types but thankfully we don't tend to see them up the dog walking field! I guess knowing some that have a lovely nature has made me realise that they are not all aggressive but I completely understand that you would never want to put your dog at risk, they are too precious. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts