I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a lovely green lawn and now it looks more like a patchwork quilt! Dexter has left his mark on my lawn in the shape of small brown patches. I was under the impression that only bitches left brown patches from their urine. My cav never left his mark like this but maybe it's because Dexter hasn't learnt to **** his leg yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pave it!!!!!!!!!!!lol. Thats what we had to do in the end. We tried all different things, even some stone that you put in their drinking water, nothing worked. Now i can just wash and scrub everything down.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi yes I would say things will improve when he starts cocking his leg, give him another few weeks and he'll probably start. My lawn was just the same last year when our pup was small, patchy and full of his excavations!!!! Happily the stains and digging seem to have stopped now. We do have one small stain but this is obviously a fav place to pee and so when he is feeling lazy thats where he goes but no where near as bad as last summer!:)

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Tessy, I have tried these, very expensive and my experience says they don't work. My dog just found new scources of drinking water, puddles etc.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi tessybear, Yes, those rocks are exactly what we tried, it didn't work for us but then we have two dogs a boy and a girl. Bayley has never cocked his leg and he is 18 months old now. I was also told that once they were both spayed and neutered it would help but it didn't work either. Maybe some dogs are worse than others for staining grass. We even had new turf laid to start all over again once they were a bit older but it went exactly the same way so thats why decided to get rid of if.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I know it is a lot more work - but as with the "Tip" on poo'ing we posted some time back - this issue could be resolved with training.

If you tighten up on your "toilet training" - you can (by using praise) keep them to certain areas of your garden. When young - pups will go indescriminately as you sort the toilet training with getting them to go in the garden - then start to use the praise bit to steer them to where you are happy for them to go - again pro-actively being there and watching them - you can tell when they are about to squat and move them to the "OK" area - within no time they pick-up on this and you are home free. Extra work - but saves you the cost of paving !!!
Some people try the "sand-pit" route - especially if they don't have young children. Same method as above but cut a small shallow sand-pit in a certain area of the garden (like a cat-litter) and praise them for going there xx (this will normally mean that you have to take a young puppy straight there when taking it out in the morning and staying with it until toilet is done).

Again - with everything I advise or suggest - they are just that - if anyone chooses to give it a try then I would love feedback too - if people chose not agree with my techniques then that is totally up to them.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We have quite a small garden and with a chicken run, pond and flower beds there's not much grass area at all. With 2 dogs (I have a retired greyhound too) the patching on the lawn can be terrible. Sadly there really isn't room to have a 'dog area'.
Last autumn we actually seeded a new lawn and fenced it off for 6 months. We wouldn't allow the dogs in the garden at all. They have two good walks morning and evening and during that 6 months we would take them out on the verge outside on leads to do their final wee of the day. Now that we are in the habit we have continued the routine. Not a realistic routine for a puppy of course!
We do allow the dogs into the garden especially with their bones. I always keep an eye on them and if I see them pee I run straight out with a watering can and dilute it like mad! There's always the odd one I miss and I have about 6 brown patches that I am about to reseed. Where I have diluted the pee the grass is so lush as the nitrates in their wee are so good for the lawn - but too concentrated it just burns.
You will need to pick out the brown dead thatch that is left. It is dead and will not suddenly burst into life again. Loosen the soil, add a some organic topsoil (bagged from garden centre) and sow grass seed, then sprinkle some more topsoil on top. If rain is not likely then gently water being careful not to flood the area as the seeds will flow together! I have some small pieces of wire mesh which I lay down on top. The dogs naturally step around the patch then.
Patch repair doesn't take too long especially if you decide to do just 3 patches at a time. I take it on as general maintenance now.
A local dog sitter has had artificial grass fitted. It actually looks quite good. They have so many dogs coming and going that until 2 years ago they had a dust bath of a garden in the summer and a mud bath in the winter. It looks good, doesn't need mowing, the dogs are happy to do their business on it and all they have to do is disinfect it twice a year. It's not for me but I can understand why people go for it.

Karen and Rufus x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts