I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jersey is usually pretty good with peeing on his pads. All of the sudden he's been peeing by the door to the backyard. I do take him out there to potty but he goes at random and doesn't give me any signs he has to go, so I use the pads as well. Does this mean he wants to go outside?

My mom wants him to be pad trained as well as outside trained because by the time school starts again he will be alone for up to eight hours and obviously no one will be there to take him out.

Also, I always assumed he didn't care that he was going in the house because he has no problem peeing in his crate and doesn't cry to get out, he'll just pee in there with no problem. Why does he all the sudden want to go outside?

·
Registered
175 Posts
How old is he? It might well be that he is confused about just what he is expected to do.

As far as I know pups generally do not like to pee in their sleeping areas so soiling the crate is fairly unusual, and the fact that he not letting you know that he doesnt cry to go out shows that he just thinks he can pee anywhere he wants.

Sometimes you are expecting him to wee on pads sometimes and outside on others and he is left wondering just what the heck he is supposed to be doing.

If I were you then I think I would start from basics again. I am assuming that your school starts in September so you have at least 8 weeks to get him sorted.

Start taking him out every hour, into the yard and let him pee. When he does praise him and give him a treat. As well as taking him out hourly, take him out after he has had a play, when he wakes from a nap, and about an hour after every meal too.

Do not shut him in his crate unless it is at nightime or for safety reasons and he can't be left free running in the house. If his crate is too big for him, then see if you can put some sort of divider in it so that he had enough room to sleep but not to walk around. Dogs tend to not like peeing in their den so it may encourage him to whine or bark when he needs to go out.

How long is he left in his crate at night time and is that when he usually pees in it?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
personly i dont likt pee pads once they are maybe 13 weeks old. personaly i feel it is confusing the dog, your saying its ok to pee in the house. i understand what you talking about with him being lift for 8 hours and although not ideal for some people there is not other way. i take it the school and you pairents work are far from the house. would a friend be able to nip it say lunch time. even someone from next door, or a friend in the street.

is he cocking his leg on the door, or just peeing at it. how often does it happen and is it before or after he has been out a walk.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mum2bobs:

He is four months old. He's in his crate for about seven hours at night. That's the only time when I crate him so that's when he goes but lately he's been holding it in because he hasn't had an accident in a while. I tried crate training him during the day but he just peed in there so that's why I decided not to crate him during the day. I'll definitely start taking him out every hour.

kendal:

Unfortunately no one we know or any of our neighbors are home all day so no one can stop by. I think he just pees at the door but I only caught him doing it once. I just find pee there all the time.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
work on the every hour for just now, then make it every 2 hours and so on and so forth. how long till you back to school?

try and work up to the length of time he will be left.

·
Registered
175 Posts
mum2bobs:

He is four months old. He's in his crate for about seven hours at night. That's the only time when I crate him so that's when he goes but lately he's been holding it in because he hasn't had an accident in a while. I tried crate training him during the day but he just peed in there so that's why I decided not to crate him during the day. I'll definitely start taking him out every hour.

kendal:

Unfortunately no one we know or any of our neighbors are home all day so no one can stop by. I think he just pees at the door but I only caught him doing it once. I just find pee there all the time.
If he is staying in his crate during the night ok, then he is obviously used to the carate and happy to sleep in there. He only needs to go in it at night, coz during the day he should be with his family and getting trained, exercised and played with :)

Hopefully if you get him in a proper routine with going outside then he wont have any need to piddle inside

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
do you think he is marking todoor, lifting his leg so he pees on it, or just leaving a puddle next to it.

i would ask your mum to get a strong cleaner, even one specificaly desighed for removing ped urine smells. it may become a habet as he will just go to the door where he smells he has peed before and just repeat it.

let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great!! I've started taking him out every hour and he is going out there willingly. Plus, I decided that when were not home I'll leave a pad in front of the door.

kendal: I caught him today and he wasn't cocking his leg, just peeing (I put a pad there) I have a special cleaner, I'll definitely use it. I'll let you know in a day or two how it's going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts