I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this whole puppy world and so I have many questions. Rocky is 13 1/2 weeks old and comes from a breeder where he was spoiled rotten. And so he has a lot of separation anxiety and wants to be around us all the time.

Anyways, I have his crate attached to his play pen right now. My question is, should I leave the crate door open so he can go in and out of it as he pleases? That way he can go pee/poo on the puppy pads rather than in the crate.

My major concern is that he may hurt himself while I am at work. Also, Rocky is a howler and will start as soon as we leave but I am learning to ignore it, even though it is really hard.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh isn't he gorgeous!

You haven't said how long you will be leaving Rocky for? I'm assuming you are talking about daytime crating whilst you are at work?

I have a 2 year old Cockapoo, Rufus, and a puppy, Basil, who is coming up 14 weeks. If I need to pop out during the day I put Basil in his pen which is attached to his crate (sounds like a similar set up to you) but with the crate door open. This gives Basil a little more space for chewing on a Kong etc and it has a different 'feel' to being shut in for night times. I personally don't provide a puppy piddle pad during these times as I will only go out at the moment for up to 2 hours. If I do have to go out for longer in a few weeks then I may well provide a pad. At the moment I know he can go 2 hours without needing to toilet.

Karen x

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rocky is beautiful! What a pretty color and he looks like he has a great personality!

Karen - that's a great idea about the puppy pad - I've been putting one in for every time, but he tears them apart sometimes, and if I won't be out more than a couple of hours, that's a good idea to start "weaning him off them"

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Tina you can get frames to put puppy pads in which stops them playing with them and shredding them up (Pets at Home sell them). I take Basil out for a 'busy busy' regularly but I also have a training pad in a frame in my lounge for those times when he is cut short (....or it's raining and he won't go outside!) and I'm busy in the kitchen. I'm gradually moving the pad closer to the back door. I know it may take a little longer to toilet train him but it's a system that works for us and he is very good at using it rather than peeing on my carpet! He's certainly going longer between times as he is getting older.

Karen x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!

Thanks for the great tips Karen!

Yes, I generally leave him for work but I do have a neighbor that checks on him twice in the 8 hours that I am gone.

It's been a rough 3 days with him (since we got him), he whines and howls when we put him inside and leave his sight. Everyone keeps telling me it will take time and that I need to be patient. It just breaks my heart when he starts whining and howling. Then again, he may be just testing me.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Did you get Rocky as an older pup then? Was he already crate trained? How is he about going in his crate at night? Sarah with Daisy may be able to give you some advice, Daisy was 5 months I think, had been rehomed and had huge separation issues. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Being away from home for 8 hours each day might be quite a lot for your pup to cope with as he is still very young. Does anyone offer doggy daycare near you? Another idea is to get a dog walker in to do one or two walks (of an appropriate length)? I'd just be a little concerned that he will develop an 'issue' with being in his pen which won't make life easy for you. Gosh it's so hard trying to do the right thing isn't it?

Karen x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts