I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just wondered how you all dealt with getting your puppy out of the habbit of playful biting hands, feet, faces etc?
Gracie is only 10 weeks old so very young still but we would like to get her out of this habbit asap as we have young children that don't understand and she's hurt them a few times.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
loud yelps abd the game stops. that is the best way. hou can keep her lnlead shile she is playing with the kidz and remove her if you think she is playing too rugh.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We found what Kendal advised worked for us too.Yelping and walking away works but also try and have a soft dog toy handy so Gracie can play bite on that instead of little hands. Its frustrating but normal puppy behaviour and she should grow out of it. :) x

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have this issue too. I've tried Rosie on a lead, but she just lies there and chews it, and then when she does jump up, she's generally too far away from me for me to be able to grab her lead!

Do you keep hold of her lead all the time? And is it a special long lead? I bought a 'training lead' but that doesn't seem particularly long. I've also got a retractable lead, but the handle is too heavy/bulky to just let her trail it behind her. (We've had Rosie just over a week, she's not old enough to go out of the garden and I've already bought her three leads:eek: It's like when I had my babies - we had three buggies within the space of a couple of months!)

Louise

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
you can atach them to you or just get a rely long leang house line even a bit of washing line if you like. try not to let her chew to lead, that is a hard one to get dogs out of when they are older.

the mouthing is a thing all pups go trugh, remember when your kids were wee and starting to play with things. where was the first place thep put things ? in their mouth, its a way of exsploringing and playing, as long as you are consistant it should pass eventualy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ha ha - it still is the first place they put stuff! I had to leap across the room to get Rosie's squeaky pig out of my three year old's mouth yesterday!!!!

I will def give the lead thing a go, thanks Kendal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i found a good loud squeal and a short sharp poke just like a mothers bite work on wispa, they do grow out of it.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts