I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be a pain.....Just a quicky, probably a daft question but i thought i'd ask just to be safe....
Is it ok to continue to use normal household bleach on the kitchen floor tiles etc? And if not, what should i use? Also what can i clean the bottom tray of the crate with? - its metal & now a bit pooie because the training pad (placed at one end like JD said to do :D) didnt stay put so the crate was quite messy this morning. What did i forget to do? How can i stop the pad from moving? Oh and very last question, Pippa is a bit wiffy and needs a bath - would it be too much too soon if i did it this evening (she only came home yesterday evening :D:D:D)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Oh dear that dosnt sound good prehaps try newspaper instead??
Did she go for a poo/wee before bed?
Maybe it will just take time for her to settle in?
Also i know some people rather then leave newspaper in the crate have the bedding covering all of the crate and get up in the night to take pup to the toilet?
Sorry cant be much help my new pup comes home soon so sure i may be in same situation.
Good luck im sure it will get better.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Sorry to be a pain.....Just a quicky, probably a daft question but i thought i'd ask just to be safe....
Is it ok to continue to use normal household bleach on the kitchen floor tiles etc? And if not, what should i use? Also what can i clean the bottom tray of the crate with? - its metal & now a bit pooie because the training pad (placed at one end like JD said to do :D) didnt stay put so the crate was quite messy this morning. What did i forget to do? How can i stop the pad from moving? Oh and very last question, Pippa is a bit wiffy and needs a bath - would it be too much too soon if i did it this evening (she only came home yesterday evening :D:D:D)
This forum is for just such questions x
If you are sat their worrying - what is the harm in asking ?

Firstly - we would advise against using "bleach" - it can burn paws - so try an anti-bacterial surface cleaner. The same will work on the bottom of the crate (though if you are worried in any way you can clean it down properly and rinse it was warm water after). Babywipes are good for the initial clean up of the crate bed.

As for the bedding - try newspaper on the whole of the base area - then the vet-bed folded in half at the back. Don't worry - lots and lots of puppies have the ability to rip the newspaper into shreds in about 5 seconds !!! (so try adding a toy of two to keep them interested).

The messing in the crate won't last long - as it is their "den" and as such will be the first place that they will pro-actively want to keep clean.

If Pippa is a bit wiffy - then a gentle bath would not be an issue - all our puppies come with a sample of Tropiclean Shampoo (and De-Tangler) - so if you can find some of that today then you'll have fun later at bath time xxx
Tropiclean has no soap or detergent in it so can be used as often as you like ! - for more on this - type Tropiclean into the search bit and it will bring up all the relevant threads.

Stephen x

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Was Pippa's poop a little loose? Pups often have a little bit of an upset tummy when you first get them home because of the stress of a journey and new environment etc etc. I'm sure Pippa's tummy will settle soon. Give her a spoonful of live yoghurt - I know several owners who swear by it for settling a runny tummy.
She'll soon get there, bless her. I remember on my first day with Rufus I got through a whole kitchen roll. He was piddling everywhere!
Great questions by the way. There's going to be loads of first time owners picking up their new puppies soon and these threads will help them too. Keep them coming. :)

Karen and Rufus

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh and very last question, Pippa is a bit wiffy and needs a bath - would it be too much too soon if i did it this evening (she only came home yesterday evening :D:D:D)
I gave Holly a bath the day after I bought her home and she has had a shower since. Expect some manic running around afterwards :laugh: I think this is a natural drying method! I use baby shampoo as I wanted it to be gentle on her skin and eyes.

Having had my little girl at home for 2 weeks I am beginning to think that so long as they know you love them you can just about anything (obviously within the realms of decency!!!) i.e. a bath

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I did the same as Fallon, the crate with her bed in it was (and still is) her bed. I never shut the door so she could get out and use the puppy pads by the door. However, that created a problem in that I could not then shut the crate door without her going crazy. She did learn that is was OK and I always shut her in when I wash the floors (I don't use bleach, I have a steam cleaner). It is useful to be able to leave them shut in if they start chewing things, I just didn't like the idea of caging my puppy, so dealt with the chewing!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with cara and fallon but would use a divider to reduce the inside of the crate so Pippa has only room to sleep, and she will not want to soil her bed.
With poppy I left the door open and had a puppy pad in pad frame beside the crate. Rosie had already started crate training so she sleeps with the door shut, I'm amazed how long she can wait before going to the toilet.
We bathed both off them straight away as they were a bit whiffy, and it didn't do them any harm.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I did the Jukee Doodle method of crate training. Rufus was from them and as I had not had a pup before I took their advice and followed it to the letter. Rufus never pooped at all in his crate and was dry by the third night. I was so impressed and it is definitely the method I shall be using with our next pup. Having said that I have a very good friend down the road who would never dream of using that method and will even sleep downstairs to let her pup out when it whines. I guess the important thing is consistency. Choose your method and stick with it.
Hope you have a better night. :)

Karen and Rufus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts