I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

So have had a rather crappy week all in all and to top it off came down with the flu on Sunday which affected my asthma terribly. Breathing has been fun - Not!

I don't know if it has all just got on top of me and I think the problem is worse than it really is but Nacho has started barking at anything. Not long continuous barks just short barks that can last a couple of seconds to a minute or two. This is at absolutely anything. My nerves are already frazzled and this morning i put my cup of tea on the table and the noise of me doing that sent him into a barking frenzy which resulted in me kicking the table in surprise and spilling the tea all over my light coloured carpet :(

Yesterday he went absolutely mental at a dust pan and brush (I know it sounds funny and I think I would normally laugh) but I don't think I can take anymore of it.

Things he barks at:

People coming in through the door or knocking (i can live with that)
The microwave
the sound of water running
anything outside
and randomly (noises i can't hear)

Any help much appreciated - I may look into one of those collars with the smell. Are they humane? and how much do they cost?

Everything I've tried so far has resulted in being ignored by Nacho.

I saw another post recently I think by Becky about Pixie and I know Eileen has a dog behaviourist which I would love to know how it goes but I think I just needed to rant. ILMC is good for that sometimes - sorry girls and guys!

XxX

· Registered
1,709 Posts
I know how you feel - I was sick last week too, and then what happend on Monday... I was a wreck! Yesterday Vincent really wanted to play while all I wanted to do was curl up under the covers and have a sob... he barked at me and I snapped at him :( Felt really guilty as it wasn't his fault.

I ended up giving him a kong with peanut butter in to distract him and he seemed more calm.
Our vet recommended the collars with the smell in, we didn't get it as tbh the reason the vet told us to do it was because Vincent is a bit of a hyper guy and we thought it was a little premature as he was only 12 weeks at the time.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Hi Susie ,hope your feeling better,just to let you know Buddy was barking the other day and i kept thinking what is he barking at then i realised it was a coat which had been left at the side of the stairs,i did read in a book if theres anything around that isnt normally in that place they will bark at it to warn us.

Not sure about the other barking but hope this helps dx

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks girls. I know i'm overreacting and i'm sure it will calm down. It was just the last thing I wanted this morning. Nacho is 6 months now so i'll give some dedicated time to the barking issue and if it doesn't work i will look at the collar. It would be an absolute nightmare if i had neighbours but luckily I only have my dad in the next house and he'll live with it ;)

xx

· Registered
182 Posts
Rocky started barking at all images of himself a few weeks ago; in the window, patio doors, tv, even from the sheen of the wood in the office. I was understanding at first and showed him mirrors, waved at him to show myself, himself etc. In the end, short barked orders of "quiet" and "enough" were all that helped and it has virtually stopped now. Perhaps its just a phase. Don't beat yourself up, sometimes they need to know who's boss ;)
Sorry you're having a rough time, hope you feel better soon x

· Registered
368 Posts
I saw another post recently I think by Becky about Pixie and I know Eileen has a dog behaviourist which I would love to know how it goes but I think I just needed to rant. ILMC is good for that sometimes - sorry girls and guys!

XxX[/QUOTE]
Sorry you're having such a rubbish time. My behaviourist lady is coming on
Dec 9th so I'll definitely post her advice. (Ear plugs probably.) Can't wait!
xx

· Registered
575 Posts
Ah little Nacho has found his bark - I think when they find it , its like a new toy - play play play then when the newness wears off it is not as frequent.
I would not worry too much unless it carries on for much longer - Treacle is 71/2 months and her barking phase was short lived!
get well soon x

· Registered
1,269 Posts
I think a short sharp 'quiet' works well but you need to do it after say two barks and mean it with your body language. A quick good girl afterwards is usually sufficient. Treats not such a good idea as may learn to bark for treats. It worked with my terriers who are well known for barking and as there were two of them they set each other off! At least the neighbours appreciated I was making effort to stop them but one or the other usually let out one bark after being admonished just to have the last word (bark!).

· Registered
457 Posts
I think the word quiet is important to keep using but my sister in law has had problems with her spaniel & shes used a water spray that she uses to wets her hair - its a fine mist so not a harsh spray of water but when she gets it out it quietens him down! Also when i'm feeling a bit stressed Dexter definitely picks up on it and turns into a tinker - they are clever little things - hope u feel better soon x

· Registered
75 Posts
Had the same problem with Bailey. Bought a collar from pets at home for £80 that squirts citronella. Fantastic invention. Dogs hate lemon and he has learned very quickly not to bark when it's on. Pets at home also offered me a full refund if it didn't work! Get one.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the same problem with Bailey. Bought a collar from pets at home for £80 that squirts citronella. Fantastic invention. Dogs hate lemon and he has learned very quickly not to bark when it's on. Pets at home also offered me a full refund if it didn't work! Get one.
Thanks Paul. £80 - wow! Definitely will consider it though if it continues to get worse especially if they offer a refund if it doesnt work!

Thank you for the advice :)

· Registered
94 Posts
I've read that we shouldn't yell at the dog when they bark (easier said than done, I say!). Apparently, they interpret the yelling as our form of barking and they'll bark even more, thinking that it's what we want, since we're "barking". I guess that makes sense, from a dog's point of view.

Rosie does better if I make a loud whispering "chhhht" warning sound, while I'm also moving towards her, so that she knows I mean business. She's always barky, so I have to be consistent, or she'll increase her barking. As long as I stay consistent, and correct her every time she barks, she's controllable.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have the fireworks upset him.
When all the fireworks were going off a few weeks ago he hadn't reached his barking stage yet and he was completely fine with fireworks. Didn't flinch!

It was better yesterday. A lot less barking so am hoping it is a very short lived phase - fingers crossed, touch wood - all that malarky!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.