I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me if it makes a difference if the mum of the puppies is a min-poodle compared to being a cocker??
I am still looking :) while I am here... is anyone familiar with Martin Shaw Kennels in Leicester??

Thanks x

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I don't think there are huge differences in a resulting cockapoo from a poodle mum and cocker dad, it just tends to be the other way around because the cocker is a bigger heavier dog. This means that that pups may be bigger than the average mini poodle is built for whelping and so make more sense to have the bigger dog as the dam and so reduces risks to the bitch delivering the puppies.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I remember this question came up on another forum and one ,member was sure it made a difference but after looking in to it they are actually genetically exactly the same 50/50,i also contacted a breeder i know in the usa who breeds with both cocker and poodle mums,she sent me pics of pups who had poodle mum and some who had cocker mum and there was no difference,even as adults.I have seen some very curly poodle type cockapoos that hav a cocker mum and some with a looser,more wavy coat that have bthe poodle mum xxx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I don't think there are huge differences in a resulting cockapoo from a poodle mum and cocker dad, it just tends to be the other way around because the cocker is a bigger heavier dog. This means that that pups may be bigger than the average mini poodle is built for whelping and so make more sense to have the bigger dog as the dam and so reduces risks to the bitch delivering the puppies.
Good point about the Cocker whelping :)

I remember this question came up on another forum and one ,member was sure it made a difference but after looking in to it they are actually genetically exactly the same 50/50,i also contacted a breeder i know in the usa who breeds with both cocker and poodle mums,she sent me pics of pups who had poodle mum and some who had cocker mum and there was no difference,even as adults.I have seen some very curly poodle type cockapoos that hav a cocker mum and some with a looser,more wavy coat that have bthe poodle mum xxx
Agree with Karen and Mandy on this one .. I too have researched into many mixes of cockapoos .. and there seems to be no difference when a poodle bitch is used rather than a poodle stud ... it is a 50/50 mix, however pups may favour either parent or grandparents in the mix .. all in the genes really :)

Keep us posted on your puppy search .. show off your puppy when you find him/ her .. xxx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have two Cockapoos nearby, both with Poodle mums. Lexi the blonde in the first picture looks like Daisy in many ways and has a similar coat texture. Max in the second picture is sturdier and has a curlier coat but this is not necessarily because of the Poodle Mum as lots of Cockapoos have a thicker curlier coat with a Cocker Mum!

They are both fab Cockapoos! :)

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Jandaz sometimes breed poodle mums with cocker dads. My dog's mum came from there and she had a poodle mum. She shares the same dad as Cara's Izzy and Tressa's Teddy, who also had poodle mums.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There is someone on breeders online selling american toy cockapoos with a toy poodle mum,i think this is cruel because a toy poodle is tiny with a very small frame and a male american cocker is far too big to be mated with a tiny toy poodle,i think the poodle should only be the mum if its a mini poodle thats perhaps on the larger side ie 16 inches xxx

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all... and can I also say what stunning dogs you all have :)

I have found a gorgeous boy in Kettering and will be bringing him home to Devon on the 24th March. I move into my new house on the 3rd March so will give me plenty of time to be settled before he arrives. Mum is a cocker and Dad is a min-poodle. I have seen photos of all and meeting him next week as he is too little for viewings yet (born 27th Jan) so excited !!! now all I need is a name ....which is proving tricky!! he is a golden boy with slight white markings. I will post pics as soon as I see him (dont want to jinx myself by posting pics now !!) xxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts