I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
We’re trying to get our 13 wk old to get used to being in his pen or crate for short periods of time with us out of the house (15 min school run). When we’re in the house, we can use little treats and he’s actually quite good at little stints, but as soon as we leave the house he wails and wails and we come back to what I can only assume is an anxiety poo (this morning he’d done two already before we went out).

He’s got a snuggle buddy in his crate and lots of toys and food and water in his pen, but still doesn’t seem to be enough.
This morning he did a poo in the pen rather than his crate, but I assume it would have been in his crate if we’d shut him in there as that’s what happened other times.

any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated!
Jen

pic for cuteness which is getting us through!!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Grey

· Super Moderator
4,753 Posts
Sounds like he is not coping with the leaving out of the door. Do lots of practice of micro leaving, so out of door, back in and repeat endlessly so he gets the idea it is not a problem and you are coming back. Pups do need to learn to cope on their own so it is a stage you need to work through.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like he is not coping with the leaving out of the door. Do lots of practice of micro leaving, so out of door, back in and repeat endlessly so he gets the idea it is not a problem and you are coming back. Pups do need to learn to cope on their own so it is a stage you need to work through.

Thanks, we'll give that a try!

· Registered
12 Posts
I need with this aswell Eddie is 10mths he hates it if I go upstairs across the road to a neighbours for 10mins i tell him everything I’m doing I say going to the shops or getting dressed but still the crying I’m at my wits end

· Super Moderator
4,753 Posts
I need with this aswell Eddie is 10mths he hates it if I go upstairs across the road to a neighbours for 10mins i tell him everything I’m doing I say going to the shops or getting dressed but still the crying I’m at my wits end
You need to start practicing every day or leaving for just a second and then coming back and repeating until Eddie is comfortable with that, at that point you can start to very slowly increase the time.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
We’re trying to get our 13 wk old to get used to being in his pen or crate for short periods of time with us out of the house (15 min school run). When we’re in the house, we can use little treats and he’s actually quite good at little stints, but as soon as we leave the house he wails and wails and we come back to what I can only assume is an anxiety poo (this morning he’d done two already before we went out).

He’s got a snuggle buddy in his crate and lots of toys and food and water in his pen, but still doesn’t seem to be enough.
This morning he did a poo in the pen rather than his crate, but I assume it would have been in his crate if we’d shut him in there as that’s what happened other times.

any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated!
Jen

pic for cuteness which is getting us through!!
View attachment 131671
Ok will give it try thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts