I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left the son dog sitting for the day while we had a builder in the house and when I left work I had missed lots of phone calls. Ringing my son I get "Get to the vets now". I dash to the vets to find the builder had left the front door open while he put his tools in his van and my son wasn't paying attention, Eddie ran out and got hit by a car :(

Poor Eddie then bolted and my son found him being comforted by a couple of women in the Co-op around the corner! Why he went there we don't know?! :confused: He's been a couple of times before waiting outside while one of us popped in!

He was limping quite badly at the vets and was in pain on his shoulder and elbow so the vet decided to x-ray him today. When we took him to the vets the limp had practically gone, but the x-rays went ahead anyway to find that everything is fine - nothing broken phew!

We then had a desperate message on the phone from the vet nurse with Eddie's high pitched bark in the background saying "I think Eddie wants to go home now!!!", "He REALLY NEEDS to go home now, PLEASE come and pick him up" :D

Eddie now has no limp at all!!!!! Its as if nothing happened?!
I have a large vet bill, and had to apologise to the builder and the man who hit him who have both been terribly worried and feeling guilty thinking they had caused Eddie lots of damage! :eek:

Cockapoos certainly keep you on your toes!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh bless him, thank goodness he is ok! What a worry it must have been for everyone though. xxx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't get over how quickly he has recovered from his ordeal?! A lot quicker than the rest of us - we were worried sick!!!

And as for going outside again - hmmmm we'll see, will he remember this as a scary moment in his life or one where he gets LOTS of attention?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
aww poor boy, so glad he is ok. that kind of thin terafies me my wee brother is 7 and is in and out the frount door all the time, i have tried very hard to teach my lot that they dont go out the frount door without me. i just hope it never happens.

but any time we have had work men in the dogs get crated for the time they are in or locked in a room that people wont need in or out.

i bet your son got a fright.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Gosh Sarah I read the whole post with my hand over my mouth. What an ordeal... everyone else sounds to have been more affected though... your poor son who would never have forgiven himself, the builder, driver and you worrying... my goodness.
So very glad he's fit and well x

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So glad he's ok, my cat was hit by a car a couple of years ago, spent 8 weeks living in a crate until his pelvis healed, he doesn't go near the road now and is petrified of cars, but dogs are different

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Gosh, what a story! I'm so glad you still had the x-rays done though.

My friend's lurcher was hit by a car and appeared to be fine; however, his behaviour began to change and he started snapping at children and members of the public. My friend thought that maybe he had been frightened or hit by someone whilst tied up outside the school. He began to be muzzled when out and this continued for about three years. Eventually the lurcher's back leg began to drag and his back end started to collapse. When he was x-rayed they discovered an old spinal wound (from about 3 years previous) which was causing the problem which was now beyond repair. The vet said he must have been in an awful lot of pain for three years, but because he was such a 'good' dog he did not show it. He had to be put to sleep. :cry2:

So glad Eddie is ok and I hope you've recovered too!! What a scare.

Karen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts