I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took Poppy out on her first walk yesterday and then again at night before bed. She did really well and seemed quite calm and stayed happily by my side (treats helped). :D She waited though until she got back into our garden to relieve herself and seemed desperate to do so. I took her out again this morning and again she seemed at ease and happy to meet people and other dogs. As soon as we got back into our garden she was desperate to go. I'm thinking this is something that may not last and as time goes on she will feel more comfortable going outside the limits of the garden - especially as her walks get longer - these are early days after all. But I'm wondering, has anyone else had experience with this before?

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Vincent was exactly the same - he'd wait all walk to go to the toilet.
We basically treated him loads when he did eventually go, similar to when we started house training him.

Poppy will get it! Just keep it up!!

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi. I remember the Lab we had when I was a child used to do this much to my parents exasperation he grew out of it in the end. I think once they get into smelling where other dogs have 'gone' they hopefully get the idea!

· Registered
79 Posts
Griff was the same, running back in the house and straight outside the garden, he did his duties for the first time after about the fifth day walking him. I think they are just to busy taking everything in when they are first out. I awarded him with a treat and still am as he dose not always go everytime we walk. He is getting used to it though and now goes pee pee when I ask him to when out walking. :)

· Registered
718 Posts
Both our dogs are nearly 2 years old and Holly never goes for a wee or poo when we are out (she even does it in a private place in the garden) and Bayley likes to do wee's and poo's as many places as possible when out in the public!!! He enjoys it even better if he has an audience :eek:

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another walk - no poo/wee. She did brilliantly on the walk though! We managed to get stopped by at least 5 people wanting to meet her - she of course loved that. :D I do have a command I give her to relieve herself which I do try when we are out, but she seems to look at me and whimpers because she doesn't want to.

Thanks for your replies - I will just keep encouraging her to go while we are out and hopefully she will feel comfortable enough to do it. May just be a case of time. :)

· Registered
8,349 Posts
Hi Marcia .. don't worry lots of young puppies won't wee and poo on walks and prefer to do it in the garden ... Poppy will change with time and then the poo bags will be needed on every walk :)

My puppies have all been the same ... too much other interesting things on walks rather than toileting :)

I am so pleased you are enjoying your new puppy .. aren't they the best :)

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they are! She has been so good on the lead from the start. She needs some coaxing at times but I can't fault her. I was reaching for the poo bags today before the walk and I thought to myself, "I can't believe I actually hope I get to use these on our walk". Funny how our wants and wishes change when there is a puppy involved! Life has changed!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.