I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chloe came home at suppertime and is doing quite well so far :) She ate a couple of times and went to the bathroom too. She is really tired, of course. She didn't come home with any painkillers but the one they gave her at the clinic is supposed to last until tomorrow sometime. Hopefully she will feel much better by then. I think an ear tattoo, two teeth removed, and a spay is more than enough for a day.

Here is a picture of her tummy. We have to leave the bandage on until it falls off itself,whenever that may be. The cut isn't big at all...just over an inch, I would say.

The E collar is both very sad to look at and quite entertaining at the same time, haha. They said it could take her up to 48 hours to adapt to it. She will bump into something and then just stand there. She hasn't quite figured out that she needs to back up to get out of the situation. She definately is not happy with the cone and has tried to get it off quite a few times. Anyway, so far, so good....Thanks everyone for your support :hug:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Glad she is ok. Yes I agree completely about the collar. Dylan would just stand there looking miserable and confused! The worst was when he went outside to wee or poo, because he sniffs the ground first, and couldn't get his nose to the ground with the collar on. He just couldn't work out what to do.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ah, bless her. It's a lovely neat and small wound, though, isn't it? They did a good job.

I've not heard of the comfy cone before, but it still looks like it would drive Rosie wild. Can't you just put an old t-shirt or a baby vest on them?

Good luck Rufus!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Here is a picture of her tummy. We have to leave the bandage on until it falls off itself,whenever that may be. The cut isn't big at all...just over an inch, I would say.
Very tidy and a small wound. Flo's was about 3 inches. Hope she is doing OK. They soon recover.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I think Lady might be able to handle taht one better.....now I will have to research, that company doesn't sell to Canada either...:(
I don't have kids yet, waht is a baby pop up vest?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Oh Mandy thats great! thanks! we call them onesies over here lol.
so I guess I could just cut a hole for her tail, and take her out of it for bathroom trips.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ah poor Chloe hope she s ok and back to normal soon.
Are you aux fait with the vests now Amanda lol you must just call them something else?
Hope you're alright as well Lia thinking about little Rufie x

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, the E collar is driving Chloe CRAZY! She has managed to get her jaw out of it a couple of times (very quickly too) and chewed on the bottom of it...and it isn't fun to get back on. Maybe it is too big but you think the clinic would know the right size. She hits at the collar,shakes her head, and whines :( The thing about the E collar that never occured to me before (duh)...they can't use their paws to hold things in their mouth. My husband had to hold her chew stick for her.

She obviously feels fine though, except for the collar, but she is SO bored. She obviously doesn't realise that she needs to take it easy. I don't want her to hurt herself or slow her recovery.

Might have to try the baby onesie or something if this keeps up. I am just afraid that she would chew at that too and get to her incision.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Might have to try the baby onesie or something if this keeps up. I am just afraid that she would chew at that too and get to her incision.[/QUOTE]

There's my fellow Canadian calling it a onesie! ;) What do they call them in the USA???

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I know that the male neutering is not as big a deal as spaying, but when Dylan was done he hated the collar so I took it off when he was with me and I could monitor him to ensure that he wasn't bothering the wound. Whenever I couldn't monitor him I put it back on. It was a bit difficult because I couldn't take my eyes off him and if he walked away from me I had to keep calling him back. I think he thought I was getting very clingy! But it was worth it to give him a break from the collar. After a couple of days I realised that he wasn't interested in the wound and I was able to leave it off most of the time. So maybe with the "onesie" you could at least give her some time off the collar.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
When Wilf was done I took the collar off but he felt so sorry for himself he didnt bother with it for first 24/36 hrs he hardly moved just sat and chewed toys \i had to carry him out for a wee . Might go to the shops tomorrow and ask for a onsie and see what the reaction is ... and then explain its for my dog lol x

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad her surgery went well. :)

About the e-collar, I cheated with 'Lo. She didn't wear one, she was always in my sight and didn't much care about her stitches. If Chloe would leave them alone, I'd take of the e-collar while your with her. If she did bug it, leashing her, putting on clothes or bandages around her middle would be my next try.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts