I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Cockapoo newbie here. We got our little Cecelia about 3 weeks ago, so she is 12 weeks now and we are still really struggling with potty training! I take her out numerous times an hour. She goes potty outside no problem, but still will pee/poop in the house right after we take her out! It's like she doesn't understand that she isn't supposed to pee/poop in the house. It's driving me nuts! We do treats and praise outside with each number she goes, so she understands she is doing the right thing. I just figured she would have it down already :pensive: I'm incredibly consistent and I'm not sure what else I can try! Please help!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Firstly relax and remember she is still a baby - it is your job to help her make as few mistakes as possible so you need to learn her routine - some dogs will wee or poo in a couple of goes and if yours is one you need to stay outside until she has fully emptied. One mistake people can make sometimes is to leap in with praise as soon as the pup starts to go and they will not finish what they are doing so still need to empty - go back to basics and after she has been if it is a time of day she generally then has an accident inside stay outside longer to give her a chance to empty fully.

Full learning takes a while longer so at this age any mistakes are very much yours not hers I am afraid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do make sure so wait until she fully emptied before giving praise/treat. I even avoid eye contact while she is going so I don't get her too excited! We have another dog so they tend to be outside for at least 5 minutes for potty time. Hmm maybe it's the cold weather that has her trying to rush inside!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
It could also be the other dog is distracting and she is wanting to play too - Chance was a nightmare as a pup as she would start to think about going and then get distracted by something hugely exciting - like a leaf or blade or grass :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts