I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am looking to adopt a standard cockapoo. Before finding a breeder. I would like to determine which *** and generation (f1, f2 ,ect,) is the right fit for me. I am an educator that lives alone. However, within the lifetime of the dog I will likely have a partner, children, and more pets. I am mostly interested with temperament, personality traits, ect. I am currently leaning toward a Standard F1 female Cockapoo. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Well done for putting the research in first. Much more important than generation is the right sort of cross - so in the UK we have show or working English cockers and also American cockers each of which will produce a slightly different dog in character and energy levels. Once you have determined that look for a breeder who does full health testing on BOTH parents and raises the pups within the house given them maximum exposure to normal sights and sounds and lots of positive experiences as they grow up. Finally meet the parents properly and see if they are the type of dog you would like to live with - pups get some of their character from parents so it is important to meet at the very least the mother properly. A good breeder will also know the characters of the pups as they grow and help you select the right character for you.

Also work out the practicals of living with your pup - they are often very clingy dogs who love the company of their humans more than anything else so consider your working day, evenings out, holidays and where the dog will be going during those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts