I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m a newie and this is my first post so please be gentle with me :).
I have a gorgeous little 14 week old cp girl, I’ll have to try and figure out how to sort my profile and put her picture on. She is so gorgeous but I guess I’m kind of biased!

My problem is that on a night we leave the radio on quietly and a little lamp. We also leave the radio on in the day when she is left (we’re leaving her 3-4 hours some days but all she does is sleep). The thing is we can’t leave it on for ever and I’m wondering how long this will become an unbreakable habit for her. Should we start weaning her off the radio now in the day and any ideas on how we do this? We only started doing this to settle her on a night as she wasn’t the happiest little girl in her crate but is now fine and has been for the past 4 weeks.
Any thoughts really appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Have you tried her without it? you never know she miht not even knowtes.

lots of people end up just leaving the radio on for the rest of the dogs like so it always has noise round it when it on its own.

is it just that you dont like leaving it on ?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi, I am not sure what the answer is as this didnt work for us but I wouldn't try leaving it off at night time as your experiment. Try during the day for a short time first and then see how she reacts. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We used to leave the radio on every night when Lolly was small and when she was being left for more than a couple of hours. I think we just forgot one night and she was fine so she never has it at night now. I still like to leave it on during the day for when she is alone for longer periods but as it's my hubbie who is the last to leave on the days I work who often forgets to put it on I also know that Lolly is fine without it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
What I would do is turn is down a little each night till you can't hear it then don't bother. We always have radio on during day for Dexter, whether we are out or in. But at night we like him to have clear signals of 'long sleep' time and turn off radio, light & cover crate with a blanket. We do however, leave the hall light on (he's in kitchen) but thats really for the kids benefit so upstairs its light enough for them to find the toilet !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone. the radio is set to the lowest setting on a night but it's higher in the day so i think i'll either leave it off for an hour in the day and see how it goes or i might turn it right down during the day.
i guess weaning her off the lamp will be easier as we leave the hall light on every night for the kids (ok mainly me) to use the loo etc. i'll crack the radio first.
thanks for all your help

·
Registered
156 Posts
I probably would leave it on always when I am away from the house in the day (3-4 hours too) as its just company... it's usually on a talk show. It blocks out any road noise by the lounge window or strange noises that might upset him whilst alone. At night it's very low so he realises its sleep time however my reduce that to almost nothing as he gets older :) x

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi, we left the radio on for the first three weeks at night..then forgot to put it on and didn't bother again as she was ok.

We do leave it on during the day when we are not at home....however have forgotten a few times and she has been fine. Not sure if we do it to make us feel better or for Lottie!!:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.