I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've posted a few times before but now it's official- we are bringing our first Cockapoo home in 1 1/2 weeks. He'll be 10 weeks old, and though we could have gotten him sooner, I've been traveling (out of town now, even) and had to wait till we return.

There are three pups available in his litter, but we've chosen the brown/white one at http://www.parsonsfamilypets.com/cockapoopups3.html - he's pictured on the bottom two rows, with the 2nd from bottom row being the most recent pix.
But here's a pix, too:

For now, I'm thinking of naming him Elliott.

The breeder tells me he's smaller than she expected from this litter- she thinks he'll be 12-13 lbs.

I am so excited, but more than a little nervous. Though I've had dogs my ENTIRE life, I vowed NEVER to get another puppy. We have a 2 1/2 yr old Portuguese Water Dog who, like our Portie before her, was NUTS as a puppy. I couldn't see going through that again- unbelievably hyper, furniture eater, and very mouthy- nipped us all for months.

I told THIS breeder that I could not take on another puppy like that, and was reassured that Cockapoos aren't as crazed as Porties. I hope she's right.

So here's a few questions for you Cockapoo experts:

1. We plan on keeping him in a crate next to the bed during the night. Do they, at 10 weeks, need to go out in the middle of the night? I'll certainly not offer unless he starts to whimper.

2. I work from home in my home office. Do I keep him in a little crate in there and take breaks and play with him? Or do I try and let him play in the room outside of the crate? We have wood floors and I'm not sure how to housetrain him while I'm working.

3. Any favorite puppy books you can recommend?

I can't believe I have forgotten all of this stuff when I just went through it 2 1/2 yrs ago, but...that was a terribly difficult time with our Portie, who BTW, finally did settle down nicely at age 2. Whew.

Thanks for your info and support!
Terry

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Terry i was thinking of you the other day and wondered what was happening.. he is absolutely lovely. Is it the same pup that you posted a picture of when they were just a couple of weeks old.. with the old mans name ... maybe you just could nt see his markings then. Mable would sometimes wake and need the loo and other nights would nt so yeh I would nt just take him ... she'd whine we'd take her out with no fuss then back in. I know a few people work from home so maybe could advise. I suppose it might just be trial and error it depends how distracting he'll be .. I suppose putting him in his crate for times so he gets used to being left would nt harm... in between play, food and wee's . Im sure it will all come back ... just outside after play, after waking and after eating with loads of praise ... are you planning on getting any work done lol. Good luck with your pup, what does your other dog do while you work Im sure he'll keep him occupied .... look forward to more pics of little Elliott x

·
Registered
45 Posts
awww... how cute, i picked up my puppy at 9 weeks as well and i'm so happy. Just cant wait til he's fully trained.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Karen,
Yep, that's the same one. In the earlier photos, I don't think you could see the body markings too well. And yes, they named him Larry (the others are Moe and Curly).

My other dog is on the aloof side and though she is totally housetrained, she prefers to hang out in the kitchen instead of me while I'm working. : (

I am hoping Elliott will bond more with me; thus the idea of keeping him in my office. But you're right- how does one work while keeping an eye on a puppy during housetraining?

I guess I'll be taking a lot of breaks!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi all,

So here's a few questions for you Cockapoo experts:

1. We plan on keeping him in a crate next to the bed during the night. Do they, at 10 weeks, need to go out in the middle of the night? I'll certainly not offer unless he starts to whimper.

2. I work from home in my home office. Do I keep him in a little crate in there and take breaks and play with him? Or do I try and let him play in the room outside of the crate? We have wood floors and I'm not sure how to housetrain him while I'm working.

3. Any favorite puppy books you can recommend?
Hi Terry ... Elliot looks wonderful ... as for the cockapoo expert well you have come to the right place.... (not me but there loads on here)....

1) At 10 weeks his breeder will of most probably crate trained him and he should be fine through the night 10pm until 6am ish ... ask the breeder about his routine that will help you when settling him in (just for ref I spent a week on the sofa next to my puppy so anything goes as long as you and your puppy are happy).

2) Try a bit of everything, definitely some play time, feed time, wee time and crate time is needed so you can do some work. The first week may be hard as you are both working on a new routine. You will want to play and cuddle Elliott more than work.... trust me on that :)

3) You won’t need a puppy book now you are on this forum, everyone on here is helpful and we are all in the same situation, we own and love cockapoos and give real and honest advice ...

Just enjoy those hectic first few weeks ... it is over so quickly .... he will settle in very quickly :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JoJo,
Good advice! I'll find out his current routine and adjust my work week, knowing everything will be "off" for a while.
I couldn't even cuddle with our Porties- they were so wild- so I'm hoping this little guy will be different.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dont panic if they dont get on at first, their is always some teathing problem bring a new puppy in, you portie will need time to agust to him being there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know! I have no idea what'll happen. But Harper (Portie) is well socialized having spent lots of time in doggie day care, so I'm hoping she'll be ok with this. She will be quite a bit larger, too, but she's a sweet sweet dog that has never shown an ounce of aggression.

I read somewhere that you always treat the first dog as the king or queen so they don't feel displaced, ie feeding them first, praising them a lot, etc.

Should be interesting!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
not heded of that one about treating them different, a good plan may be to get a toy you know she will like and keep it for the day you bring the pup home, i only say this because my mum said she did it when i was 2 and she had my little brother said it was him that got it for me so i would feel better about him getting mums attention.

i know you cant exsplain that kind of thing to a dog but puppy ariving and her getting a new toy in dogs mind puppy equals good things.

if you have any isues post up and someone will have an answer.

oh and i dont think we have seen photos of harper yet does she have to show clip or the pet clip?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a great idea! A toy for Harper so she feels special- I'll do that. I'll find a pix of Harper and post it. She has a regular "pet" clip, not a lion cut. : )

·
Registered
389 Posts
Aww adorable, I love the brown and white, reminds me of my puppy.I am a first time dog owner so I don't have much advice to offer. I am sure it will all come back to you once you get him home :)

My puppy was definately not sleeping through the night at 10 weeks, more like 15 weeks. However, my friend got her Cockapoo at 10 weeks and she slept through the night the second day they had her. So you just never know! Both our Cockapoos still do their fair share of biting/nipping even though mine is 6 months old and hers is 9 months old. My puppy has settled down quite a bit but there have been times when I wondered what made me think I could handle a dog.

My puppy thinks she NEEDS to be with people most of the time, absolutely not aloof.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's Harper. Elliott will be a little "mini-me" of her, it seems. Harper is just over 50 lbs. Elliott is supposed to be 13-14#.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kelly, do you have pix?
Hoo boy, I have to remind myself that there will be lots of adjusting to a new pup. I think Harper got through the night early on, but then, her bladder was probably a lot bigger. : )

·
Registered
389 Posts
Kelly, do you have pix?
Hoo boy, I have to remind myself that there will be lots of adjusting to a new pup. I think Harper got through the night early on, but then, her bladder was probably a lot bigger. : )
Funny you mention pictures, I just deleted my avatar picture so I could replace it. And, of course, I can't get a new one to work. I don't have any recent pictures on here, for the same reason. I WILL figure it out someday, haha. Anyway, Kendal was nice enough to put in pictures for me in my intro thread last month. Here is the link (hopefully)

http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=995&page=2

I am just so thankful that Chloe is now sleeping through the night; I was so sleep deprived. BUT she is being spayed next week , so I will be back to sleeping on the couch beside her kennel until I am sure she is better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chloe is a gorgeous pup! Oh my! She looks a bit like Elliott, but with more white on her face/head. Did she look like E when she was younger?

But now you've got me nervous about the "bad" behaviors and sleep issues. Hoo boy.
We've always kept our dogs in our bedroom at night, so I'm hoping that will help. But we'll see.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Chloe is a gorgeous pup! Oh my! She looks a bit like Elliott, but with more white on her face/head. Did she look like E when she was younger?

But now you've got me nervous about the "bad" behaviors and sleep issues. Hoo boy.
We've always kept our dogs in our bedroom at night, so I'm hoping that will help. But we'll see.
Oh sorry, didn't mean to make you nervous! I guess I won't tell you about her kitchen table jumping/stealing off our plates then ;) Seriously, remember that I am a first time dog owner and have no clue! Maybe Chloe takes advantage of that, haha. My friend also sleeps with her dog in her room so maybe that does help them sleep better.

The third picture in my link in the last post , the one with Chloe near the trampoline, was taken on the day we met her/got her. I can't believe she was ever that small.

Enjoy your new puppy :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I am just so thankful that Chloe is now sleeping through the night; I was so sleep deprived. BUT she is being spayed next week , so I will be back to sleeping on the couch beside her kennel until I am sure she is better.
Sleeping on the sofa next to your dog/ puppy is part of it puppy ownership, I think :)

I spent a week on the sofa when we first got Oakley and if he was ill or needing me I would do it again!! Although my hubby did laugh about it & still does, as I love my sleep... Well things have changed due to puppy ownership..... I am up at 6am every morning (even weekends!) and I wouldn't change it for the world :)

Having a puppy is like having kids, they all do things in their own time i.e. crate training, toilet training for puppy, talking and walking for kids, but they all get there in the end ... oh but dogs don't need help with their homework and want the newest PS3 game ... ha ha ha xxxxx

1 - 20 of 52 Posts