I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I will be a first time dog owner, can anyone help me please with a list of essentials to have ready for Puppy when she arrives.

This is my planned list, please tell me if there is anything I've missed, or maybe won't need. I already know my puppy will have it's mothers scent blanket and a toy and some starter food from the breeder.

We are planning to buy a 36" crate with a metal base and some vetbed. There seemde to be so many types of vetbed on line, can anyone recomend a good one? Would anyone recomend a second hand crate, or should it be brand new for a puppy, I was wondering if a second hand one would have another dogs scent on it (obviously I'd wash it) which may upset the puppy?

Other than that I was planning on getting:

2 Bowls (one for water one for food)
(I've been collecting old towels and have some old baby blankets for the crate).
A grooming brush
A few toys to chew on.
A collar and lead

So help what else do I need?:confused:

Registered
I would recommend buying a solution for cleaning up any accidents in the house, one which gets rid of the scent unlike normal household cleaners. I used 'urine off' which I ordered from pet planet online. You can also buy similar solutions at pets at home. Well worth it. Happy shopping :)

Registered
We bought a solution from Pets at Home 鈥 it was cheaper than Urine Off but had the same ingredients. It has worked well on our wooden/tiled floor. I鈥檓 not sure if you鈥檇 need to use something different for carpets. Don鈥檛 forget to buy lots of kitchen roll for accidents!

Re vet bedding 鈥 I think it鈥檚 all the same (bar the colours).

We used a second-hand crate and gave it a good clean down and Saffi seemed fine.

You鈥檒l also need shampoo and conditioner 鈥 we use Tropiclean which you can buy here: http://www.rlpetproducts.co.uk/store/cats/brands/tropi-clean/ We also have the D Matt solution which is good for a spruce-up and smells yummy. And when the adult coat comes through will help with matts.

A fluffy toy or two 鈥 Saffi loves her fluffies!

Something to travel safely with her in the car? We have a harness that attaches to the seat belt.

Chewing toys 鈥 I鈥檇 suggest a Stag bar. They last for ages! Other people have found Kong successful.

Registered
You haven't mentioned poo bags......we have been using cheap nappy bags, although I have recently upgraded to proper poo bags after a couple of "finger going through bag" incidents.

perhaps some training treats for puppy - you need something right from the start for toilet training. We had bought loads of different ones to see which gisgo liked best....which was a waste of money. Something like cheese, ham etc is just as good if not better.

Chocolate and perhaps wine for yourself......you may find you need it!

Registered
Ah yes, poo bags! We bought a discount bag of nappy bags from Asda for 29p for 300. Bargain!

And Saffi loves cubes of cheddar more than any other training treat...

Registered
Mostly covered above. The best poo bags we found are from home bargins at 79p a box!
We got a crate from a friend and Billy settled fine in it. He took one of our girls soft toys to bed with him the first night and has done every night since.
A seperate towel for the dog.
Good luck x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.