Teddy Bear
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 week old puppy
we have Had him since he was eight weeks old
My question is our puppy so hyper and Loves to nip my fingers
Even though I’ve been trying to train him Not to bite
I am concerned because I don’t want to have a hyper dog on my hands
I recently seen my vet and she said we can give him peanut butter and a gun as long as we don’t give him more than 1 tablespoon a day
I also ordered a snuffle mat hiding treats in for him for metal toys
He is headstrong if I tell him no he barks at me
I have over $2000 in him And I would hate to get him back to the breeder
I have Always Had pools and Shih Tsus
Very new to cockapoo’s

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 10 week old puppy
we have Had him since he was eight weeks old
My question is our puppy so hyper and Loves to nip my fingers
Even though I’ve been trying to train him Not to bite
I am concerned because I don’t want to have a hyper dog on my hands
I recently seen my vet and she said we can give him peanut butter and a gun as long as we don’t give him more than 1 tablespoon a day
I also ordered a snuffle mat hiding treats in for him for metal toys
He is headstrong if I tell him no he barks at me
I have over $2000 in him And I would hate to get him back to the breeder
I have Always Had pools and Shih Tsus
Very new to cockapoo’s
Meant to say a Kong with Peanut Butter
Also I have always has Poodles and Shih Tsus that are a lot calmer
He was the Alpha of his litter mates

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Cockapoos are lively pups and he needs to learn to listen to you with short bits of training - telling pups no is generally ineffective and he is barking at you because he does not understand what you are doing and saying, teach him to sit and down so you can ask him for those behaviours and teach him "leave" which is one of the most valuable lessons. I then redirect pups onto toys that we can play tuggy with, biting me is boring and gets little reaction, biting toys gets a nice game and fun.

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cockapoos are lively pups and he needs to learn to listen to you with short bits of training - telling pups no is generally ineffective and he is barking at you because he does not understand what you are doing and saying, teach him to sit and down so you can ask him for those behaviours and teach him "leave" which is one of the most valuable lessons. I then redirect pups onto toys that we can play tuggy with, biting me is boring and gets little reaction, biting toys gets a nice game and fun.
Thank You
should I take him to training class
could you give me some pointers on getting him to leave
He loves to play fetch And will bring the ball back to me but not release the ball to me
He has lots of chew toys
Do you think a trainer would help me
We are in our 70s

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You
should I take him to training class
could you give me some pointers on getting him to leave
He loves to play fetch And will bring the ball back to me but not release the ball to me
He has lots of chew toys
Do you think a trainer would help me
We are in our 70s
I am at my wits end
I think I made a mistake
But I am determined to try and make this work I have over $2000 invested in him

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
To teach leave with toys you need something small you can cover with your had totally and that you can play tuggy with. Play a nice game of tuggy with puppy keeping the game low and side to side, then grip the toy really close to pups mouth and hold it steady against your leg so you are stopping all movement of the toy and covering all the toy but the bit puppy is holding. Wait and eventually puppy will let go of the toy because the game has become boring. Immediately play again. Nice play and then repeat. The pup should start to let go faster and faster as they learn that the grip close to their mouth means the game is going to stop and not restart until they let go. This becomes a hand signal which means "drop" or "leave" and you can then start to add a word so they respond to voice too.

This is a nice video for teaching leave with food

Training and using their brain really tires pups out so the more you can teach the better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know how you're feeling. Hang in there. I was out of my mind for a while, wish I could remember how long. I would take your dog to a trainer who will work with you and the dog. You need to learn things about how to handle him, and he needs to learn to listen to you as much as he can. My cockapoo is 2 years old now, and while she does have a lot of energy, she's a great dog. She learns very quickly and I've gotten past the point where I was ready to shoot her :) If you learn about dog training and work with your dog, hel'll be a great pet. At least that was my experience.

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You so much
i have so many questions
He Doesn’t want me out of his sight
Think I’m going to have a problem with separation anxiety even though I’ll go to the grocery store and won’t be gone long
Sometimes I have to take my Husband to the Dr. which is no more than an hour

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are in our 70’s as well and our puppy is now almost 9 mo. Yes…she can be unmanageable even hyper…but coins it with such sweetness it balances out the work needed to train her. We did take her to obedience training and it did help….Hang in there. Your puppy is so new to the world.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Puppies have tons of energy. They need to play and have fun. I find that cockapoos also have a lot of intellectual curiosity. The more you can play, explore, sniff, see and hear things, the more tired he'll be, and that means more quiet moments for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts