I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to this site and new to puppy ownership, but wow I adore Cockapoos. What a fabulous breed to own :)

I have a 4 month old black male F2 Cockapoo and he is adorable but as always I have a few issues which I could do with some help with... I hate to dwell on the negatives but advice is needed please.

One problem - he tends to want to play or fight with the lead when walking, I am firm and say no, put him back to heel position but this is happening quite frequently.. please help if you can....

Another problem - He likes his food very much, he is quite protective over treats such as pig ears and will snarl and growl if I go near him, this needs nipping in the bud, it is strange because he will let me put my hand or finger in his food bowl when eating so not an issues there..... again advice would be excellent please...

Apart from these two issues he is the best puppy I could ask for, no accidents at all in the house, crate trained, knows quite a few commands sit, down, paw and currently working on heel, drop and off..... ha ha ha

Puppy ownership is a joy :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
With the walking on a lead it sounds to me like your along the right lines. I would give him a treat when he is walking nicely then he is more likely to want to walk nice to get a treat.

Do u have any pictures of him?

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bethany

Thank you for coming back to me, I will continue with the treats for good walking .. & make sure I have a pocket full for each walk :)

He is just a bit excitable and reacts rather aggressively with the biting lead issue... I think/hope he knows who is in charge.. that’s me by the way (ha ha ha pack leader)

Any advice to stop him guarding his treats .... pig ear is the favourite

Trying to add pics of him.... all a bit tricky :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, for the food garding i would hold his pigs ear when chwing it, so its never compleatly his, also have something els that he wants and treat him for giving it up. make him sit and stay before he gets his meals or treats, make him work for it.

what is your cockapoos name.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It gets busy on here then.....

Lovely to have so many people welcoming me and the advice is fabulous and much needed....

Just went on a walk and I was VERY firm when he was biting the lead, firmly said no, made him sit and then we continued our walk .... it’s all good fun though.

Thank you Kendal for your advice, I will hold on to the pigs ear tonight, let’s hope I have fingers for typing tomorrow... btw your cockapoos are beautiful ..... are you a breeder? Or just cockapoo crazy like me ... 4 cockapoos!!!!

Hi Lia... Rufus is a lovely colour and about the same age as my puppy... how is he doing? Any funny stories

Hi Amanda... Lady truly looks the perfect little LADY ... I would like a cream cockapoo girl one day :)

More pics will be added as soon as I get the hang of it .. my first day so please bare with me xx

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Using Photo bucket is the easiest way to do the pics, and they come out nice and big! :)
We are thinking a black cockapoo next, unless I can find one who looks like Kendal's Delta!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh yes Kendals Delta is a lovely colour .... would we call that Toffee ..... All Kendals dogs are nice looking.....tbh

Kendal question - Are you a breeder? Are your cockapoos second generation as their coats are stunning

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amanda .. so you are considering another cockapoo and your little Lady is only 5 months old .... it is a bit catching with these sweet little cockapoo puppies, I would like a friend for our puppy too .... two dogs can't be much harder than one dog (or can it!!!!!!)

I have actually seen cockapoo puppies being born ... a friend of mine had a litter and let me have a peek, it was totally amazing .... but I wanted every puppy I saw ...... oh dear!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Ahh yes Kendals Delta is a lovely colour .... would we call that Toffee ..... All Kendals dogs are nice looking.....tbh

Kendal question - Are you a breeder? Are your cockapoos second generation as their coats are stunning
lol thank you, no im not a breeder all my girls were spayed at around 6 months old but they are all relater 2 sets of half sisters gypsy & Inca (same dad) Echo & Delta (same dad) G & I are ants to E & D ( E & D's dad is G & I's half brother from a poodle litter) they are all F1

on Deltas vaccination card from the breeder she is down as chocolat and white i think, but the Vets have her as sable and white, but in talking to a breeder in america we have come to the concl;usion that she is a Changed red sable and white parti( 2 or more colours one must be white) meaning that the sable wont stat sho she will endup being just red and white once she has had a hair cut.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kendal, your girls are beautiful .... I thought Delta was more toffee from the pic or even apricot.... very pretty face.. ok I am soppy when it comes to a cute cockapoo.

You could have breed them with a stud dog I suppose but I guess it was best to get them all done and enjoy your family of two sets of sisters, you are lucky.

Had to wait a long time to get one.... wanted a dog for 5 years ... been wanting a cockapoo for 3 years ... hooray I am now the proud owner of Oakley but would like to get another at some stage, the non shedding coat really has its benefits for my cleaning :)

Witnesses cockapoo puppies being born and wanted to buy the whole litter, beautiful toffee coloured pups ..... it was an amazing experience.

I have cockapoo books and spend most of time training & playing with Oakley, or browsing the web for cockapoo info, sad by very true.... xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Kendal, your girls are beautiful .... I thought Delta was more toffee from the pic or even apricot.... very pretty face.. ok I am soppy when it comes to a cute cockapoo.

You could have breed them with a stud dog I suppose but I guess it was best to get them all done and enjoy your family of two sets of sisters, you are lucky.

Had to wait a long time to get one.... wanted a dog for 5 years ... been wanting a cockapoo for 3 years ... hooray I am now the proud owner of Oakley but would like to get another at some stage, the non shedding coat really has its benefits for my cleaning :)

Witnesses cockapoo puppies being born and wanted to buy the whole litter, beautiful toffee coloured pups ..... it was an amazing experience.

I have cockapoo books and spend most of time training & playing with Oakley, or browsing the web for cockapoo info, sad by very true.... xx
i dont think i could ever breed, if you breed you have to be prepared for a change in temprament that may be temperary or permanent.

problems during labor meing loss or pups or mum or both, insurance doesnt cover for treatment as it is your choice to breed your dog like it is your choice to nuter so insuranc doesnt cover that either.

i would not be willing to keep a boy from the litter if it was never found a home or was handed back because the owners couldnt cope with it.

theas are just some of the reasons why i couldnt breed. we got our girls because we wanted them not because we wanted to make money from them.

no problem with breeders if it wasnt for breeders i wouldnt have my girls, i just dont think i could do that to my girls.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Amanda .. so you are considering another cockapoo and your little Lady is only 5 months old .... it is a bit catching with these sweet little cockapoo puppies, I would like a friend for our puppy too .... two dogs can't be much harder than one dog (or can it!!!!!!)

I have actually seen cockapoo puppies being born ... a friend of mine had a litter and let me have a peek, it was totally amazing .... but I wanted every puppy I saw ...... oh dear!
HAHA I was thinking of a second from the moment I got my first...I am going to wait a while tho I want to make sure lady is settled down a bit before introducing a new pup....
I still search for pups all the time...just incase a perfect one does pop up ;)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kendal ....Totally understand you not wanting to have the pressure or worry of breeding, I guess some people can and some people can't ..... I would like to but I wouldn't go into it lightly and it would not be a business, more of a hobby ... Kendal just enjoy your girls and keep giving us all great advice :)

Amanda, you sound like me .. always looking at cockapoos..... we will be like Kendal before we know it ... 4 dogs to our name :) I wish.......

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
He looks lovely, looks older than 4 months... it s good picture for a black cockapoo, glad the advice you got seems to be working x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Karen...

Is Wilf your black cockapoo..

Unusual white and black colouring on your other cockapoo....

Oakley does look grown up facially but act like a true puppy.. over excited most of the time ...

I am looking after a female cockapoo for a week and she will put Oakley in his place.. great fun here.. I am loving it :) .... I won't want to give her back :(

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Karen...

Is Wilf your black cockapoo..

Unusual white and black colouring on your other cockapoo....

Oakley does look grown up facially but act like a true puppy.. over excited most of the time ...

I am looking after a female cockapoo for a week and she will put Oakley in his place.. great fun here.. I am loving it :) .... I won't want to give her back :(
Yeh Wilf is 3 1/2 he's black with a small white tux, Mable is just over 5months and is blue roan .. there are some proper pictures somwhere on site ... they are very exclusive pictures lol not really Im just rubbish at taking them and even worse at posting so there are nt very many. I see your as obsessed as the rest of us ... constently looking at litters and researching ha . I had toyed very loosly with breeding from Mable ... even just once ... but a pipe dream really. Had got as far as requesting eye testing and then thought better of it .. a big responsibility x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the BIG question ... Is Two dogs better than one??? or in Kendals world are 4 dogs easier than one ??? he he he

I have a 2 and a half year old girl cockapoo statying over for a while as a favour to a friend, she is beautiful and she is putting my 4 month old Oakley back in his place .... it is so good how dogs train other dogs.

He has not bit the lead on our walks with her, they are sharing water and food bowls and she is pinning him down when he barks at her or if he is just pestering her too much .. he lets her go out the doors first .. it is good fun to observe ... it is actually amazing

BUT ... big smiley BUT ..... now I want another puppy for sure .. I would stop at two!!!!!! PROMISE :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts