I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I got a puppy a few weeks ago (at age 8 weeks), and she is great and cuddly, if a little boisterous :cool:. She will be 12 weeks on the 1st of Jan. Anyways, when the postman came with a huge parcel (it had a vacuum cleaner inside-she doesn't like them either!) she pooed herself, then ran out of the room and huddled under some blanket. So in 20 seconds, my confident pup was turned into a shivering wreck! I tried sitting with her on my lap near the box, but she just ducked her head in my dressing gown. I even tried sitting her on top of it which might of not of been my best idea now that I think about it. :confused:
I also gave her lots of cuddles and she fell asleep on my lap but 2 hours later and she still refuses to go near it! Also, she hasn't whined or barked for ages and seeing as she learn't how to within 3 days of her arriving at my house I'm a little worried :eek: Any ideas? Thanks. :ilmc:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Pick the box up. Open it excitedly she will pick up on your vibes and realise it's not a threat. When it's empty leave it on the floor and slowly put some really tasty treat nearer and nearer to it. Then put a toy inside it when the box is on its side. Then open the other end so she can see through it and encourage her to crawl through it. Make every thing a game. Max is the same with new things. Even something as small as a toy of his sitting on the chair sends him loopy. He soon gets over it once shown. Also our postman carries treats with him, so both my dogs think he is the bees knees and can't wait to greet him.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Poor puppy! They are funny things!
I'd be inclined to just leave the box in the corner of the room and ignore it - if she wants to be with you, she'll have to get used to it being there. Don't force her to go near it, just let it be there.
If it is too big, or you have already got rid of it, it might be worth getting a smaller box from local garden centre or something and have it in your room - my dogs love boxes - we fill them with scrunched up paper and hide toys and treats in them. If the box is small enough they'll jump right in and ferret around to see what they can find.
But start with an empty box and just let the pup get used to it...

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I go about it the same as Marzi. Jake seems to suddenly be afraid of everything. I think it is a six month old thing. I just leave the stuff around and he ends up creeping up on it sooner or later.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Meadow is just about 6 months, and has suddenly taken a dislike of reflections - the puppies she saw in the oven door, patio window and the mirror in the hall have all changed from interesting but elusive pals greeted with a nose kiss and a tail wag to mortal enemies to be ousted at all cost! I've taken to picking her up and re introducing her to her own image, talking quietly to her and helping her get nose to nose again( not with the oven door!) and of course the reflected puppies are quiet too and apparently greet her:D:D The things we do!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts