I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Just joined and wanted to say hi, I'm not yet a cockapoo owner but I hope to change that soon!
I'm moving to my family farm in late March/early April and will be working from home most of the time from then so ideally that is when my fiance and I would like to get a puppy. My dad and sister both live at the farm and work from home as well and so there will always be someone at home as I don't agree with leaving dogs at home all day by themselves.
Any advice on puppy searching would be great, I'm not sure when to begin really and also where to begin? I've seen some posts on here about Scottish breeders but can't contact the infamous MandyM until I have posted ten times I believe! I have contacted Glendream Cockapoo's as well to enquire into litters in 2015, but if anyone knows of other Cockapoo breeders then it would be great to hear from you! Happy to travel further afield for the right breeder.
Also any advice on the different types, whether to get a field or show cocker mix, F1, F2 etc etc and if it makes a difference to the personality much?
Although I have thoroughly researched breeds (i.e. spend all my time online looking at dogs!) and I am 99% sure a cockapoo is the perfect dog I want to be absolutely sure!! I'd like a fairly compact dog but want a 'proper dog' I can take for long walks and play with outdoors but who will be a cuddly lapdog when it's time to relax. We don't have children yet but one day we will and cockapoos do sound like they are great with kids. Myself and my family have no allergies and I'm not bothered so much with shedding hair but my fiance's family have allergies and I don't want them to never visit us so a low shedding dog is ideal, although I'm not expecting no hair at all!
Sorry bit of a longer post than I meant for!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
There are so many fantastic dogs around but it does sound as if a cockapoo would tick a lot of boxes for you, the only thing I would say is that they are high maintenance for grooming, I would say for your lifestyle embrace the low maintenance short coated look! There have been other posts regarding the 'type' (show/working etc) many breeders will say one type is best but from our 'survey's' on here it really doesn't seem to make much difference, there are lazy ones from working types and go all day ones from show types. Anthony at Anzil Cockapoo's just outside Liverpool is another good one, with lots of happy customers.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Like Dawn said a cockapoo would tick all your boxes. If children might be in the works later paying a lot of attention to socializing the pup to infants and children will really pay off. Good luck with your search.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the advice and insight! I'm happy to groom a dog regularly but I agree that a short coated look might be best, especially on a farm where it does tend to get muddy and there are lots of lovely, smelly things for dogs to roll in!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts