I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have Just chosen my cockapoo puppy today. She is 6 weeks old and had beautiful markings. I've started to get really worried i have made a mistake, as she was the only puppy in the litter that didn't have a noticibly wavy coat. If she doesnt at this age, is she more likely to look more like a cocker spaniel? and not a mix? The breeder said she WILL go wavy but might not be till she is 13 weeks. Is this true?
Thanks in advance
Zoe

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
She may go a bit wavier but if you want a curly pup then really the coat starts to show a curl as early as 4 weeks. Mable only had a slight wave and is obviously going to have a more shaggy coat than curly and she does moult, so if you are wanting a dog that does nt moult the curlier the pup the better. If your adamant you want curly, i know its hard once you've waited and looked but maybe look for another litter... it really depends how important it is to you.... good luck x x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've attached a photo - but you cant really see her coat from it. I dont mind if she is wavy, It just worried me when i got home as she was the only one in the litter that didnt have the wavy coat now. I understand you cant be 100% what you are getting, I just dont want to pay the money and end up with a cocker spaniel!?! Is the breeder right in saying it could take up to 13 weeks for it to develop - she was adamant it would change!
Zoe

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks thats really intereting! If all the others hadnt been so much wavier i dont thimk i would have given it a second thought! It was so hard as i had pick of 7! I'm prob worrying over nothing!

Julia - I see one of you're pups alot, You named him 'the pig' as he was the only puppy in the litter (his family re-named him freddie). He's a gorgeous dog!!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Thanks thats really intereting! If all the others hadnt been so much wavier i dont thimk i would have given it a second thought! It was so hard as i had pick of 7! I'm prob worrying over nothing!

Julia - I see one of you're pups alot, You named him 'the pig' as he was the only puppy in the litter (his family re-named him freddie). He's a gorgeous dog!!
Aww bless, glad Freddie is gorgeous. He was soooo big and fat because he had ALL of mums milk and attention.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
She might end up with a straight shaggy coat. I've attached a before and after picture of one of our cockapoos Daisy to show you how the coat changes. Don't worry she might become a swan!

Julia
Thanks for the photos Julia - that's put my mind at rest too as Lolly has straight fur with just wavy tips of her ears and your photos look exactly like Lolly (except Lolly is a bit lighter in colour). I will be delighted if Lolly ends up looking like the dog in your photos!

·
Registered
236 Posts
What a lovely curly coat and I love the way she is clipped. Interesting that she is now so curly when she had a quite a straight coat as a puppy.
Thank you for the cut compliment:eek: We did it ourselves about 3 weeks ago, have to say this is her good side!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I must say I think the shorter Betty's coat is, the curlier it is! The roots of her coat are really curly yet she looks shaggy and wavy as the coat grows longer.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
That is a good cut...maybe I am starting to lean towards shorter...which will benifit the matts in her legs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I was just wondering how your straight haired puppy turned out?
We pick our girl up in 3 weeks and I have been thinking the same as you did, that she's not very curly so have been searching the forums.
When I came across your puppy picture it was the first puppy I saw that looked exactly like mine, very cute
Did she end up looking like a cockerpoo or spaniel?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Hi,

I was just wondering how your straight haired puppy turned out?
We pick our girl up in 3 weeks and I have been thinking the same as you did, that she's not very curly so have been searching the forums.
When I came across your puppy picture it was the first puppy I saw that looked exactly like mine, very cute
Did she end up looking like a cockerpoo or spaniel?
My boy was similar as a young pup, but has the typical thick cockapoo wave and curl now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lolly's Coat

We have just chosen our puppy today and were choosing between a curly and not so curly. We went for a not do curly. What is Lolly's coat like now?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I were choosing I would choose a "not so curly" because I prefer the light shaggy look as adults over the curly Poodle type coat. I love the "muppet look" and the straighter they are as pups the more likely to have shaggy coats as adults. Just my personal preference, the curlies are cute too......:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts