I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

At just over 9 months our pup has started her first season! We saw the first sign (blood) last night. We will now be waiting 3 months then having her spayed.

I have done some research and intend to go out with her every time she goes in the garden to do her business. Her lead training has come on really well lately so intend to keep this up but literally just walking up and down our terraced street (no park or walks in the woods!)

I just wondered if anyone had any pointers or can relate their experiences with this at all? I think were on top of it but any further advice on any do's and dont's and timescales etc would be appreciated.

Also there will be 3 other dogs round at ours this weekend (belonging to family and friends) but only one is male and has been neutered. Were going to keep Tilly seperate anyway so can't see any problems there?

Anyway looking forward to any replies.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi Paul

If you go into the "Search" at the top and type in "Coming into season" Jane has asked questions and there are a lot of answers from other members. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I just have a quick question on this topic and thought it would be easier to just pop it in here rather than the thread I was directed to above. Hope that's ok.

I first noticed blood from my pup 2 weeks ago today. She bled a little for the following days but not a great deal at all. The swelling has also all but gone down. I am aware that the heat period lasts around 3 weeks and i'm under the impression that the bleeding is around the 2nd week. Therefore if i spotted it 2 weeks ago does that mean she is now out of season or do I wait another week to be safe?

I'm keen to get the little monster charging around the woods again! :eek:)

Paul.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
sorry Paul would help if I could, no experience of dogs in season Mable spayed at 6 months, would be great if its all over though x

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It certainly would. Shes well ready to get back to running around. Problem is we live on the edge of the city near the peak district so there are always lots of off lead dogs. I think shes getting a bit bored of walking up and down streets.

Hoping that she'll be all good this weekend really. Anyway, thanks for answering!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maisy's season lasted 4 weeks from when we first noticed the bloody discharge. I think 21 to 28 days is about the norm.

Maisy had a lot of interest from the boys when she was in season, and even well after she was finished for some reason!

I would prob check with your vet just to be on the safe side to see what he says but if the swelling has all gone down it sounds like it might be all over :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Carol. Looks like I really best check with the vet then. Her energy levels dropped right down for a while and all she did was sleep. She's now back to her normal bonkers self but with a bit of extra energy! Hopefully I can tire her out this weekend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts