I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had Scuffy for 1 week and I feel really torn as to whether he suits his name. It is really bothering me and I feel awful about it but just don't feel settled! Has anyone ever had this problem? We chose him when he was only 3 weeks old and named him not only because of his scuffs of apricot but also after the first cockapoo we had met in the UK whom was so cute and really influenced our choice of breed. However, maybe it is because he is such a sweet puppy, but he just needs a sweeter name, even though he is a boy. Biscuit had been one of our choices, which was what our rabbit was called. I love Treacle but the boys are not keen but also love Noodle. It is soooooo difficult but I just have a strange feeling that his name does not fit his character. I also get countless people asking me if he is called 'Scruffy' or 'Scrappy' and that doesn't suit him at all. I feel awful about changing it but it does have to be said millions of times from now on. I don't think it will confuse him at this stage as he tends to react more to my voice calling him than his name as he doesn't respond to his name when the boys call him.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I think it is REALLY difficult choosing a puppy name, a lot of people scoffed when they heard I had chosen the name Betty but now everyone that has met her says it really suits her... Scuffy is still young enough to have his name changed.. go ahead and change it to something you are happy with, after all you will be calling it for many years to come:):)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I really like the name scuffy :) it is so cute and different ... its good to be different .. cockapoos have to have cool, different and crazy names.. because they are the best breed ever ...

There will be no problem changing his name so early ... oh let us know what you decide to do Jane xxx

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Its hard to chose a name before you have them home and find about their character.. Betty was home a couple of days before I could decide on something
for her... she was known as the 'pup with no name' on here for a while..
You will be happier once you've made the decision to change it (or not)....
give yourself time to decide on a name that you and the family will love.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JoJo! I do like his name and I feel even worse as I was the one who suggested it! Maybe it's because he's at that really cute puppy age and it's difficult to imagine him all grown up. However, we only saw him the once at 3 weeks, when he was not showing any character and we didn't see him again until the day we collected him at 8 weeks, which makes it really difficult. I think it is just the association with 'Scruffy' as I really don't like that name at all for him (and I should have thought of that!) so do not think it is the best idea to have a name that rhymes with it. The last straw was the vet's receptionist ringing yesterday calling him that as she had only glanced at the list and assumed that was his
name. We will have a family name discussion later - not for the first time!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps: you are right JoJo - they really are the best breed IMO. I have never had a dog before or any close contact with any and they are just adorable! I like the fact there is no definite breed standard - they are all so different on the forum but all so delicious!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another ps: I forgot to say that I love the name Betty! I love those sort of names for female dogs. My youngest keeps saying we should call him Doris! I keep telling him it is a girl's name!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I agree, it's not too late to change his name at such an early age. When strangers ask what Nacho is called they always think I say Macho which they find hilarious as he looks anything but macho - i have tended to give up caring and I don't correct them anymore as I love the name so much for him - he actually loves eating Nachos and anything edible or even inedible so it is perfect for him. However if I was questioning his name I would change it to something the family agreed on.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Biscuit is a lovely name! - But then i LOVE food names! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I don't think it's too late to change his name if you don't feel it suits him. Betty now answers to most things (including Boo Boo, Boo Chops, Monkey, Waggy Bum and Poo Face!).

Fudge is a cute name! If Betty was a boy i would have called her Sweep as she reminds lots of people of Sweep from Sooty and Sweep for somd readon.

I quite like the idea of calling a dog Scooby as in Scooby Doo but for a cockapoo that would be Scooby Poo!!!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We're now veering back to our original name of Biscuit, which is what we all agreed on when we first contacted the Breeder. I also like Fudge but our neighbour's spaniel is called Fudge. She is the same colour but with more patches. She had been called Smudge by her breeder but they changed it to Fudge. Will decide soon!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.