I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you leave a water bowl out all day for puppies? I presumed the puppy should have access to fresh water all day? And do you need to leave water in the crate at night?

My friend has been told not to give her puppy water when she feeds it it's kibble? Someone told her it bloats the kibble in the puppies stomach, is that right? Sounds a bit odd to me.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I've always left water out during the day and at night when crate training I put a small stone bowl of water at the back of the crate. Anything of a lesser weight may get knocked over. Although I know some people don't leave a bowl of water at night to reduce the risk of toileting at night. I personally hated the thought of them getting thirsty.

I thought you had to give water with kibble. I did when Millie was on kibble, she's now on Natural Instinct which is raw. She still has access to water all the time.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Your puppy must have access to fresh water. Even more so if feeding kibble, as this type of food is very dry and does indeed soak and swell in the stomach. If your dog hasnt access to water to keep things balanced the food will actually dehydrate your puppy as it will take water from the body and if your dog cannot replace this water then your dog will become ill.
Raw diet has natural water in the meat, blood and bones so raw fed dogs may well drink less but what ever you feed your dog they must always have water available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.