I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I should be cleaning Dexters ears but I am unsure what to do. Is a damp cotton wool ball ok to use ? And how often ?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Try a wee bit of baby oil on a bit of cotten wool. and just run it round the inside of the ear.

does he have hair in his ears, if he does youl need to pluck them first.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks JoJo - when I looked this am I couldn't see it but now I look I see I should have looked at older posts ! I'm such a computer numpty at times !

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Oh yes I can do cockapoo blogging now :) ... its just the videos and photos that I need help with (bring in hubby for that bit, knew I needed him for something lol)... and I am new to Facebook which I do find tricky, I just press buttons and hope for the best lol .. don't tell anyone ...

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
The tropiclean ear cleaner is nice too!
I have used mineral oil before getting the ear cleaner.
It cleans them up quick....tho lady really doesn't have as bad of ears as she had as a puppy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I have to pluck the hair our of her ears? OMG that freaks me out. I just realized on friday that i had to trim the fur around her eyes. The breeder did it before she left and i didn't think it would grow so much in 3 weeks, but we couldn't see her eyes anymore. She HATED me trimming around her eyes so i can't even imagine what plucking her ear hairs would be like :eek:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
you only have to pluck their ears if 1- you don't take them to the groomers to get it done and 2-if they have really hairy ears in the canal area...I don't have to pluck Lady's at all.

When you trim her face...hold her muzzle...pretty firm, but obviously not tight enough to hurt....she will get used to it...Lady was a nightmare the first time....but now she just waits and lets me do it as it will be over soon....it is the brushing of her legs that she still goes bonkers over.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Best time to trim a puppies face is when they are sleepy.

i only need to pluck gypsy and delta. gypsy everytime i groom her and some times inbetween but delta i have only done a handfull of times as she doesnt realy need it.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I ordered some Thornit powder from Amazon, which makes ear plucking very easy. Once a month, or so, I just rub it around the outer ear canal and the hairs come out easily with my fingers as there's no way he'd let me delve around with tweezers! I then put a drop of ear cleaner from the vet in each ear too. In between, I just use baby wipes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I looked and her ears are pretty hairy inside. I have been wiping her ears out and they don't smell and i can't see a wax build up yet. I'll have to keep an eye on them and ask the vet next time what he thinks. He showed me how to trim her nails last time so maybe he can show me how to pluck her ears too.

Do they cry when you pull the hair out? I'm just thinking about how much it hurts to pluck my own eyebrows and ears are a lot more sensitive!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hattie had slightly messy ears but vet was not worried said as ears opened out any problems would clear up. Clean ears with cotton wool soaked in salt water but do not become obsessive as this can make matters worse the more we mess about with the natural balance the more problems we make!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
It doesn't hurt to pull out the hair in the inner ears at all. Most dogs don't flinch. The vet said they need to be removed regularly to avoid infection - allows the air to keep everything dry and the hairs attract bacteria. However, the ones around the outer edge can hurt and Biscuit will yelp if I pull out the wrong ones. I just trim these hairs with scissors.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
gypsy doesnt realy like it but she doesnt protest to it, he hears are realy hairy, will do before and after photos next time i do them as i need to shave the inside of her hears aswell becayse she has no natural hair free skin on her ears.

the hair inside the ears is much finer that the hair you have waxed/plucked from you legs/eye brows. but it is in a sensative part of the body. so its not comfertable for them but it comes away easily and plucking is the only way to get rid of it. Gypsy is quite lucky even though she has very hairy ears so has a rather wide ear cannal. some dogs even spanials you would be lucky to get a cotten bud in the ear its so small.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was scared to pluck Lucy's ear hair too, but I just went for it when she was asleep one day and she didnt even wake up, except maybe to look up at me a few times like "what are you up to in there?" ;)
When you trim her face...hold her muzzle...pretty firm, but obviously not tight enough to hurt....she will get used to it...Lady was a nightmare the first time....but now she just waits and lets me do it as it will be over soon....it is the brushing of her legs that she still goes bonkers over.
LOL Lucy goes bonkers too when I try to brush her legs! She loves when I brush anything else, but I have to hold her down to do her legs.. I feel so bad but it has to get done or else they'll get mats! She's not too fond of me messing with her tail either haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw this on Cesar Milan's "Dog Whisperer"....Lay him on his side, squirt some ear cleaner in his ear and message. Allow him to stand and shake his head and then repeat on other side. The take a cotton ball and gently wipe ear for any cleaner that dripped out. That message is like magic, my Cosmo loves it!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.