I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Quick question about feeding bones

3K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  M&M's mummy 
#1 ·
Hi ,ive ordered Buddy some Turkey backs from Natural Instinct as he really really enjoys his chicken wings.

Should i smash them up a bit before i give them or should i just leave him to it?Has anyone else given their poo's these?

#2 ·
not given turky back but have given turky wings and chicke crcases. depending on the size i would possible split them in half, but dont see the point in bashing them up, thats what their teeth are for and he will enjopy it more.

#6 ·
Mine have chicken backs whole and Turkey necks whole.

The turkey back whole is good because to be honest bigger pieces means they are more inclined to chew them properly as smaller bits they can just gulp down.

If you feel it is too big- just cut it in half and give half and see how he gets on with it.

He will love them :)

#7 ·
Thanks ive just been on the website and read the reviews yes your right give him whole the reviews say he could take a while to chew through it i will let you know how he gets on,mind you builders have started work out in the garden today and theve pilled mounds of soil everywhere so i darnt let Buddy out there i know he'll head staright for them.
Can i ask if you feed bones inside what do you do about hygeine?

#8 ·
Donna when I feed mine inside - I let them eat on the kitchen floor as it's only lino and I clean it up with this super duper pet disinfectant I got off ebay that they use in kennels etc...

Some people I know use an old towel and put that down and then you can just wash that on a hot wash.

#9 ·
I feed mine on the kitchen floor too then wash it. It's bit of a bore but if they take bones outside they get so filthy. I have looked at the turkey backs too and wondered about them. They don't look very easy to cut in half , I have difficulty enough cutting up the lamb ribs. Let us know how Buddy gets on please.

#10 ·
Do let us know how he get on with the turkey backs.

Re the amount of meals, I still give Bess 3 meals a day - she generally reminds me by coming over and looking up expectantly when it's getting near to mealtime, then wolfs it down in seconds .... so I guess she still needs it! She's very active and quite lean.

#11 ·
Ok - so after reading another thread about teeth problems and hearing advice that bones are good for cleaning teeth (I was hoping dogs would be like cats and manage to keep clean teeth on kibble) I am beginning to think I should treat Lolly to a bone occasionally!
I'm not very good with meat and bones (I can't eat meat on a bone personally so no chicken drumsticks for me) so any advice on what to ask a butcher for and any thing I should be aware of when feeding a bone will be gratefully received

#12 ·
I went to our farm shop today and the butcher very kindly gave me a whole bag of lamb ribs for free. These are great for their teeth. Have put a load in the freezer:)

As for the chicken backs - I find these pretty easy to either cut through with a knife or a pair of strong scissors. The bones are surprisingly soft.

#13 ·
Daisy is one and I still give her two meals per day. I put Daisy's bone on towel or in a bowl. To be honest iot doesnt matter where I put it she will pick it up and take it into her bed to eat. She did that with a ***** of tripe the other day...! :eek: Time for another new bed maybe...?

#15 ·
As promised some pics
I decided to feed him abit earlier tonight as i wanted to give him the turkey back outside,it is quite large and i tryed to cut in half but i think its still a little frozen so i couldnt do it .
Buddys just been looking at it and licking it son far ...it could be a long night !

#19 ·
That's fine- let him enjoy it :D

I weigh mine so next time if you are a bit unsure weigh it so you still are giving him the correct amount for his weight.

I give Milly about 100g and Monty 150g of RAW per meal, although sometimes more. Sometimes you can cut things in half and not quite enough so I give them the whole lot, but just don't do it it all the time. You know what they are like not as if they will say " no more mum I am full" :D

Bones can weigh a lot too-some some is all bone and not much meat.

#27 ·
OMG cutess thing ever ,i thought he'd ate everything but no there was a small piece left which he found this morning he then proceded to walk around the garden looking for the best place to hide it
Under this stone ...NO
behind the shed.....NO
In the big pile of sand soil and rubble that the JCB digger has just dug up .....PERFECT!!!

He was covered this morning but we just couldnt help laughing while he dug away and buried it ,he's just gone out there and dug it up again bless him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.