I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got off the phone with my vets and to be honest it hasn't helped much. I caught Obi eating one of my daughters hard plastic headbands. There was about half of it left and he had small pieces of the plastic in his mouth so I can only presume he has managed to swallow some it. I was able to easily snap the larger pieces that were left as it is very brittle and I'm scared silly because they are so sharp.

When I spoke to the vets they said to wait and see and watch for any signs of vomiting, discomfort, problems with going to the toilet etc. They said as it was plastic that it would not show up on an x ray and that hopefully he will just pass the pieces. I keep thinking about that poor dog that supposedly ate some NI with larger pieces of bone in it and I'm worried Obi's intestines will be cut by the plastic. He looks fine at the moment and already eaten his NI before he got the hairband. Of course I blame myself for leaving him playing with the kids while I was making the tea. If anything happens to him I will never forgive myself. Sitting here crying as I type. So worried. I feel sick.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Lady has eaten some hard plastic before.....she used to eat our vertical blinds going to the back yard, quite sharp pieces, they would come out in her poop. hopefully he gave them a really good chew before swallowing....Like the vet said keep your eye on him for any discomfort. and keep him eating to pad the stomach with lots to surround the plastic...lots of treats for obi today... i hope he is ok. I am sure he will be just keep a watch

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh thank you for replying so quickly, that's good to know she was ok. They are so sharp! The bit I took out of his mouth was small. I will keep a very close eye on him. Thank you.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
calm down, take him a walk to try and get his insides moving, you probably will have to wait till tomorrow before he passes any of the head band.

maybe give him a wee bit more food than normal, the idea being that blastic will pass surounded by food and wont hurt him.

just relax, keep an eye on him but just let him be normal, that way you will see if anything changes with him. im sure he will be fine.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I am sure he crunched them down small, it would have hurt his throat otherwise....Lady was just fine...Obi silly boy no hair accessories for you...ok?? Poor little dude.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Whenever Dylan has chewed anything up, he never seems to swallow it. I think it's most likely that Obi has just chewed it up for fun and spat the bits out. Don't worry too much, as it's unlikely that he will come to any harm - just keep an eye on him. And I'm not convinced that whatever was wrong with that woman's dogs was anything to do with eating bones - seems unlikely that both dogs would be affected like that. Dogs chew up all sorts of things and generally get away with it.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh Clare poor you and Obi .... if the vets not overly worried then dont you be, mine have had those chew things before now that are a plastic coated rough dog chew, for teeth cleaning cant describe them but they are definitey plastic.... dont sound great. Like Amanda said Im sure he will have chewed it... and I would nt have thought as sharp as a splinter of bone. He may even be sick, if mine swallow too big a piece of bone then they bring it back. Give him some more dinner like Kendal says and a chase around the garden, you'll be worrying and he'll be fine x

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'm calming down, honest! Just gave him some more food and now he's running around the garden like a lunatic.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am sure he will be ok. Daisy ate some of her crate tray. I hadn't realised she had eaten any until I saw it in her poo! I was a bit shocked but glad she had passed it. Fingers crossed, don't worry. x

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My brother's Patterdale Terrier ate quite a bit of hard plastic a few months ago and he was about the same age as Obi but much smaller. The vet said to keep an eye on him and it all passed through OK. Pups do tend to eat everything they shouldn't and we are forever chasing Beau around the garden when she has a peg etc. :D

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Flo has eaten a few plectrums in her time (due to messy 13 year old guitar addict son) along with the odd hair clip and probably numerous other inedible plastic bits that I've never even spotted her eating. They all passed through her no prob's. I'm sure if there were going to be any problems something would have happened by now. Keep on eye on him till midday tomorrow by which time I'm guess he'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Having a house full of dogs i have had a few occasions here my girls have eaten plastic items pens,remote controls one of them was my friends daughters brand new hair band,the thin hard plastic type with little teeth to help grip it on,well it was red and every piece came out the other end so try not to worry( although i know its difficult,he is your baby) but im sure they will come out the other end safely xxx

·
Registered
858 Posts
Clare you poor thing. All that worry. I'll be just the same if it happened to Luna. As much as you want to, you can't keep an eye on them the entire time, especially when they are with the kids and therefore being 'looked after'. I'm sure he'll be fine but will keep my fingers crossed for you.

And with that I need to rescue Luna from behind the sofa where all the computer cables are - grrr!

Harri x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Poor you Clare. Its probably good it was so brittle as it would have been broken down quite small and easier to pass. Keep an eye on his tomorrow ....he'll be fine I'm sure. xx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
my dogs ate a ball .. they chewed up a tennis type ball and i saw all these black rubber bits all over the floor, patio etc ... I was puzzled what it was .. then spotted the covering part of the ball ... I was so worried .. they were sick .. yes they dealt with it by being very sick .. dog vomit everywhere .. but after that they were fine .. the body is a clever thing ... just wish cockapoos were a little cleverer at times .. eating a tennis ball doh!

So don’t panic.. he may be sick or poo the plastic out ..

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hope you and Obi are ok. Worrying is not fun. I'm sure Obi will be Ok, sounds like a lot of sensible advice on here.

Let us know how tomorrow goes and hopefully you will see it passing through :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi I hope obi is ok. Ruby loves plastic, she's always trying to get in the recycling bin. She ate my tesco bag for life last week! I'm sure it will be fine take care x x

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi Clare, how are you this morning and of course Obi? Any particularly brightly coloured plastic poo this morning? ;) He is probably wondering what all the fuss is about.....the little devil!! Hope you managed to get some sleep x

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
How is he this morning? xx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts