I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about other's experiences and getting some advice I have decided how I am going to train Daisy to get used to being left. :)

I am going to only use positive training methods as I would like to train her to not be upset, rather than train her not to bark when she feels upset. At the reccomendation of a behaviourist I am starting to give Daisy calmatives and I am also using rewards to train her to get used to me leaving her.

As she has not been driven by any treats so far I am using her NI yuck :eek: ! So now I am basically walking round the house with little bowsl of mince! :rolleyes: I have to keep leaving rooms, shutting the doors, counting to 10 (all she can manage at the moment before whining, sometimes 15 if she hasn't realised I have actually left! :D) and then giving her a small amount of NI. This is replacing her meal times so that all her food has to be earnt. :) Obviously this is easier if you feed kibble! :rolleyes:

It is going to take a long time but I am going to do this every day increasing the times I leave her and hopefully this will mean that she will stop scratching the doors when I am not in the room and help her be more relaxed in the crate. Whilst I have been doing this she has already stopped scratching the lounge door whilst I am counting which is a small start! :D

Anyway I will keep you updated on her progress and please could you all keep keep your fingers crossed for me! :D

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Daisy is so lucky to be with you and I'm sure she will settle down into a relaxed, secure dog. Look forward to hearing how it goes :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Good luck and as I have said many times I think Daisy is one lucky pup having such a lovely owner and I am sure she will get there in the end as I know you will not give up on her and have already spent a long time helping her! My trainer reckons there isn't a dog in the world that can't be trained it just takes a loving owner and lots of time :D X

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
good luck!!! Betty was terrible when left when she was little (even having to come to the bathroom when i went to the toilet) now she's more than happy not glued to my side and knows the routine when i go out. i look forward to seeing how this goes for you.

x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Good luck Sarah.
Mine are 4 and 2 and both suffer with SA and are horrendous!!!

We thought Monty was OK but he doesn't it now when she does and after videoing it tonight it was :eek::eek:

They howl and bark constantly for about 3-4 mins when we first go out, then stop for a bit then howl some more then stop and on it goes....:(

So am going to have to try again going out for a few secs, then minute etc... but we thought Monty was ok when we did this and he has fooled us!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your words of support! I was starting to feel like I was failing but I have to tell myself I haven't had her long and she has made other improvements. I have decided to sleep downstairs next to her crate for a while. I am hoping that this will help her get into a routine, I will then move my mattress further away each night until I am not in the room! :rolleyes:

Someone said to me recently, little steps all the time all add up so I need to remember that every little improvement is really important!

M&M - That must have been really interesting videoing them? Because you feed kibble you could do that training in a much less messy way than me! :) Have you read that really long sticky? It is really useful :). Does Monty chew anything or is it just howling?

Good luck with your training! :D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thank you for your words of support! I was starting to feel like I was failing but I have to tell myself I haven't had her long and she has made other improvements. I have decided to sleep downstairs next to her crate for a while. I am hoping that this will help her get into a routine, I will then move my mattress further away each night until I am not in the room! :rolleyes:

Someone said to me recently, little steps all the time all add up so I need to remember that every little improvement is really important!

M&M - That must have been really interesting videoing them? Because you feed kibble you could do that training in a much less messy way than me! :) Have you read that really long sticky? It is really useful :). Does Monty chew anything or is it just howling?

Good luck with your training! :D

They both Howl and bark and Milly paces and scratches the door. But it is done intermittently and in between they settle down. I think they set each other off too :rolleyes:

They don't do any damage at all.

In fact when we return home it is always quiet and yesterday I could see Monty lazing on the sofa.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Sarah I am no expert .. by any means .. but maybe by sleeping next to Daisy for a few nights it will reassure her you are there. I don't know if you read in previous posts but when Oakley was a pup I slept next to him on the sofa for a week, just as reassurance, as he was whimpering at night a little and he was clingy, well spoilt like a child actually, but he is so grounded and better for that bit of reassurance in the beginning.

You and Daisy will have an amazing bond, and she will settle, it is early days and she has had a bad start (not with you, of course). You are doing an amazing job, big hugs to you. You are so lucky to have each other and I mean that xxx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all! I don't think I deserve any admiration though, I am sure you would all do the same thing! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm certain all the forum members are rooting for you both. You obviously care and are willing to put in the time needed to help Daisy. The forum is a great place for advice and support.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The pups just love us and we love them!
My 16 week old has now started with a dog walker twice a week. The aim to have a more relaxed pup who works out it's not just me who "gives the good times".
Also now having her sleep in a different room to the other dogs so she can be comfortable with her own company.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update - break through or just luck?

Update - As you know, I have been trying to reduce Daisy's seperation anxiety at night by sleeping downstairs but moving myself further away each night. Luckily I have an open plan downstairs so this has been possible. :)Two nights ago I moved into our lounge which meant for the first time I was completely out of sight. OMG what an awful night we had! :( I was already emotional having had to say good-bye to our old ratties that afternoon :rip: :cry2: but I then had Daisy waking me up every hour or so. In the past she has needed the toilet in the night, so I was very good, without speaking I let her outside and then put her back in the crate again each time. I was completely exhausted yesterday morning and began to think that there would be no end to it all! :cry2:

Last night she went in the crate herself (rewarded! :) ) and laid down. I got into bed (mattress on the floor :rolleyes:), heard a slight whimper and then nothing, well nothing until she needed to go out at 2am. My alarm woke me up at 6am and Daisy was just lay there happily! :) I opened the crate door and she still laid there until I opened the back door to go and feed the chickens and then off she trotted to the garden! Wow! :twothumbs:

I think one of the things that have helped is we have at last found a treat that she likes, hotdogs (thank you Tarimoor )! We cut up very small pieces and these are the first treat she hasn't spat out! I have always fed her in the crate and by day she sleeps in it with the door open but I have been rewarding her with hotdog when I put her in at night! I think this could be why she went in by herself last night! :D

I will not be moving myself further away tonight, I will wait maybe a couple more just to be sure that last night was not a fluke. Unless I sleep on the stairs :eek: the next place for me is either the landing or back to my bedroom! Maybe another week and I just might be back in my own bed! :D :jumping:

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Well done Sarah, its nice when it is such a long road and you finally see some results, how ever large or small.
My dog also love hot dog sausages, I use chicken frankfurters, slightly less fatty but the smell of them definately gets his and others attention when we go to agility!!:)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Well done Sarah, it must be great when you start to reap the benefits of all your hard work. I haven't tried hotdogs as treats but have seen them used on "Its me or the dog" so useful to know they work.

Hope Daisy has another good night tonight. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Fantastic news and great to see your efforts paying off!! Betty LOVES frankfurters too and did all her puppy training classes with them! x

1 - 20 of 38 Posts