I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Julia I wondered if next time you cut Buzz or one of the others you could video it so we can all see how you achieve the cut ( I know you did one before but that was for a longer coat),I'd be interested to know which size clippers etc you use.
I'm sure it would help to show my groomer and also for people who want to do there own grooming thanks Donnax

·
Banned
1,983 Posts
hi Julia I wondered if next time you cut Buzz or one of the others you could video it so we can all see how you achieve the cut ( I know you did one before but that was for a longer coat),I'd be interested to know which size clippers etc you use.
I'm sure it would help to show my groomer and also for people who want to do there own grooming thanks Donnax
OK Donna, I'll give it a whirl. J x

G

·
donna its not about which clipper blade you use , but regular grooming so they do not get knotted up ( then you have to use a 7f clipper blade to get rid of all knotts infact it usually comes down to a complete strip , i find the american cocker spaniel trim suits cockapoos and plenty of human hair conditioner i hope you dont mind me adding this to your post have fun xx

·
Banned
1,983 Posts
Hi Donna

Until I get round to doing a video, this a an explanation of how I Teddy Bear trimmed Buzz last time.

J x

Hi Karen

No not fluffed up.

Day 1 - I washed him and de-matted him whilst wet with Tropiclean conditioners on using a Mars coat king and les pooches gold (I think green is best but I don't have one of those yet.) Rinsed him off and then took him for a walk to air dry him.

Day 2 - With a totally dry Buzz I started with an area where the full long coat had broken off and left a patch of wavy coat that was perfect length (for me) about 3 to 4cm long. If I hadn't had that patch I would have started from the paws and worked upwards. LESS IS MORE if you are choosing to keep this softer more natural look like I have with Buzz here. I gently eased out the longer hairs with my fingers and trimmed them back with curved poodle scissors with 7" long blades (yes they're big), to the same length as the thicker curlier undercoat. The trick is not to cut into the thicker undercoat just take off all the longer or straggly hairs. If you fluff the coat up and choose to go shorter and cut into the undercoat then you will need to seriously be good at dog sculpting. (As a groomer to get a perfect result shorter I would have used clippers and a blocking blade, which I would only suggest the most experienced groomers use as it will cut anything in it's path, including skin, ears etc. )

Day 3 - Once the coat has settled a bit you will find the odd straggly hairs will appear from nowhere. So step back and take a look then trim just enough to make it neat.

Others might like a more severe poodley trim but for me this keeps some movement in the coat and retains the Cockapoo look. J x

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
donna its not about which clipper blade you use , but regular grooming so they do not get knotted up ( then you have to use a 7f clipper blade to get rid of all knotts infact it usually comes down to a complete strip , i find the american cocker spaniel trim suits cockapoos and plenty of human hair conditioner i hope you dont mind me adding this to your post have fun xx
Do you have any pictures of cockapoos that you have trimmed like this thanks

G

·

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

when i was taught to groom dogs it was always said NEVER brush a wet dog as you break the coat off as it is like elastic when wet ALWAYS dry groom before you wash the dog taking great care to get every knot out , i would be very happy to show you how to do it in person if you want to come and visit us for a day or so in the new year oh and remember loads of conditioner janice x

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
This is where I am confused as I have read to ALWAYS brush through and remove matts before washing but Julia reccomends brushing when wet. I have tried both and the only thing I wouldn't reccomend is leaving my daughter to do thr brushing! :D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

when i was taught to groom dogs it was always said NEVER brush a wet dog as you break the coat off as it is like elastic when wet ALWAYS dry groom before you wash the dog taking great care to get every knot out , i would be very happy to show you how to do it in person if you want to come and visit us for a day or so in the new year oh and remember loads of conditioner janice x
Thanks for the invite but im not going to groom him myself just wanted something to show the groomer.

Buddys coat will def look like Buzz's as his coat is going to be more like ringletts .
Thanks for all the advice.

G

·
This is where I am confused as I have read to ALWAYS brush through and remove matts before washing but Julia reccomends brushing when wet. I have tried both and the only thing I wouldn't reccomend is leaving my daughter to do thr brushing! :D
sarah all well taught proffesional groomers dont brush a wet coat ,so draw your own conclusions janice x:rolleyes:

G

·
Janice don't start another fight. There is no law against different people doing things in different ways. Relax it's Christmas.

J xx
i have no intention of fighting with you just stating a few facts my word you are defensive the real you ! relax its christmas peace love and goodwill xx

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all cockapoo coats will fall in to some form of ringlet if left to dry naturally , if you blow dry the curl is blown out i think buzzs coat looks unkempt and quite scruffy , i would not be at all happy if my dog came back from the groomers looking like that , but each to there own janice x
Why did you feel you had to post this remark?? Im quite upset you must think that about my puppy also as his hair is similar ,i really dont feel there was any need to say anything??

G

·
well its the truth im sorry if i upset you but you need to be shown the right way of grooming and the wrong way , its me expressing my point of view instead of trying to bluff people ,and i think your buddy looks gorgeous i would love to get my hands on him

·
Administrator
5,034 Posts
well that tuse laste less than an hour.

come on people do i need to lock this thread too.

lots of socalld profetonal groomers in my aria dont seem to even bother atempting the brush the coat they just clip it all off.

personaly brushing a dry coat makes it static which hides mats, with a wet coat the mats stick out like a soar thumb so its easier to get to them.

i so far have been taught by two different groomers and both groomed a dog in different ways.

its like with cooking you dont always falow the resapi to the letter, you add and take away, or change ther order you do things because it gets the result you as an individual like.

their is no reason to insult somone just because its not the way you like it done.

i find myself in the minoraty of doodle owners, i love the puffed out blowdried look of a cockapoo when they are freshly groomed. others like the get them back to their curly state as quick as posible.

this is the joy of DIY grooming once you know how to work the coat you play about till you get what you like.

now please no more insults.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sarah I started this thread for advice on grooming your mum gave me some advice also which was nice of her but there was no need for the snid remark that followed ,i would never in a million years come on this forum and say what she said about another persons pet who is part of their family and loved just as much as their own children,i just thought there was no need for it .
Thanks for the link i will take a look.
Merry christmas dx

·
Registered
159 Posts
all cockapoo coats will fall in to some form of ringlet if left to dry naturally , if you blow dry the curl is blown out i think buzzs coat looks unkempt and quite scruffy , i would not be at all happy if my dog came back from the groomers looking like that , but each to there own janice x
We are complete novices when it come to grooming having only had reasonably short coated dogs in the past. We have had a few mats in Nell's coat but we have dealt with them fine using the method that Julia has advised.

We were recently very fortunate to have the services of a groomer with over 20 years experience, we were very pleased with outcome and the groomer remarked how good Nell's Coat was.

As to Buzz, I have met him on several occasions and was surprised just how good condition and matt free his coat was. It should be commended for a dog's coat to be able to be kept so natural while still in great condition.

It was also extremely useful to see a well kept full coat prior to purchasing our dog so we could see exactly what we were potentially taking on.

I hope to keep Nell's coat as natural as I can but I suspect that I will be calling for the professional groomer every few months.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
sarah all well taught proffesional groomers dont brush a wet coat ,so draw your own conclusions janice x:rolleyes:
I was reading this thread with interest but found these two comments from Janice a bit tactless (after the Xmas truce thread as well). I know you like to be blunt and to the point and that is your way, I'm sure you didn't mean to upset or cause offense, but sometimes it would be good to re-read (to see how others may take it) before pressing "submit reply".

Both ways of grooming are obviously good and get great results on your lovely dogs.:) I like the variety of styles and the fact that we all have different preferences.:)

Merry Christmas:D

G

·
donna im so sorry i am a nice lady maybe a bit long in the tooth and set in my ways , black is black and white is white so im sorry i offended you was not my intention and i do love your buddy ...
kendal so sorry no more didnt mean it the way it sounded ! but i am a perfectionist when it comes to grooming as sarah said we had best puppy in irish water spaniels at crufts all trimmed up by me i was so proud ..i just like the right info to be passed on to new people ....going to have a whisky and soda now janice xxxx merry xmas

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.