I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My 1 year old male cockapoo, is showing many signs of resource guarding and other aggressive behaviour. The issues we are experiencing with him include: not allowing us to wipe his paws when he comes inside, will not give up bones or any high valued item, will not drop tissues or anything else he shouldn't have in his mouth, and does not like to be touched on his backside or stomach at times. During most of these situations the end result is him attacking us, what I mean by attacking his him biting me and my family very VERY hard (he has bit through skin and made us bleed). I just don't understand why he is like this and it is causing much stress in my family. We all show him so much love and affection. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with these issues please help! Much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
It sounds like there is a breakdown in communication between you and him as he really does not want to be in a situation where he feels the need to bite either however much it seems like he does.

All of these issues can be overcome but it sounds like you would benefit from a trainer who would come to visit you and show you how to gently introduce him to handling he can cope with and also how to deal with his guarding. The more you try to take things off him, the more stressed he will become and they more high value the items feel to him so he will want to guard more and more. You need to take the pressure off and change how you deal with things - which for a start means assessing what is really important and needs to be got back and what really does not matter - things like tissues really do not matter and I would not have bones around with a resource guarder.

My girl came to me because her first owners could not cope with her guarding and she was also not totally comfortable with handling - this is here now https://www.facebook.com/AcademyforDogTrainers/videos/350859345752799/UzpfSTc1NjA4OTg1ODoxMDE1NzEzMjA4MjAzNDg1OQ/

If you are in the UK I would look here for a trainer http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts