I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read several reviews, and am very mixed about a retractable leash. Our current one is a regular leash, and seems to go under/above/around my little cockapoo! Was wondering about your experience with a retractable leash...most worried about Pepper chewing it!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
No, no, no and a million times no! They teach pups to pull on the lead as there is always tension in them, the brakes can fail leading to dogs getting onto roads or other danger at critical moments, if you drop them the handle will bang and potentially scare the dog - I have heard mutliple accounts of dogs lost from that. Used in fields the line can cause terrible friction burns to anything dog or human it wraps round.

Try a harness with a connection on her back instead maybe?

·
Registered
39 Posts
By their nature, retractable leashes teach dogs to pull when they're on leash because dogs quickly learn that pulling extends the lead. Dogs should learn to walk politely on a regular leash and stay close enough to their humans to be safe. These leashes have a tendency to wear out and, over time, will malfunction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read several reviews, and am very mixed about a retractable leash. Our current one is a regular leash, and seems to go under/above/around my little cockapoo! Was wondering about your experience with a retractable leash...most worried about Pepper chewing it!
Benji seems to prefer a regular leash. he doesn't seem to stop and stiff so much on it. We have a retractable but they are not good if Benji stops and I continue walking!! They just seem to like being off the lead much more!!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts