I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Just wondering how roan pups change coat colour. Do the white hairs shed off or darken? The texture of the two hair colors is different in Mielo so wanted to know how the magic happens!

Is this the same for merle and sable coats?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have no experience with roans although there are quite a few jd roans on here so they may be able to help,i do know that the white area darkens over time I do have a merle and a sable though,the merles unlike the roans are born with their speckled markings,a blue merle is simply a black with diluted patches,a choc merle a choc with diluted patches.Sables are different,all are born darker than the colour they end up,my sable as jet balck as a newborn his name is hobson an you see ho he looks at the moment under the section headed american crosses,he will still go lighter as he gets older.kendal has a red sable and white,red sables dont lighten too much and some chocolate sables can go almost cream as an adult.I would love a roan though

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I dont think the white changes but im sure Julia from JD said to me that the hair on a roan goes white/dark colour and white again (if i remember correctly/i may be wrong)so when you have them cut the apperenace may change.

Buddys markings are still the same but he has just had his rear end trimmed and it does seem as if ive taken the white tips off so his fur appears darker in that area now.
Also as your pups so young what will happen is where the white hair is the underneath will appear to go darker giving him that shaggy roan colouring

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Arent choc roans born basically choc and white then gradually change,ive only ever had one roan( a choc) in kds first litter but it 5 years ago and all i remember is she was born choc and white then gradually the white area changed to roan,she as very similar to buddy,very cure,i love the roans x

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My Millie is a blue roan. She was definitely white & black as a pup. But after her first grooming the white was then a grey/white. As the fur grows back the white reappears to a degree, but never as much as when she was a puppy. A lot of the white is at the tip of the fur and therefore if i want her more white/black the fur has to grow.

Millie at 9 weeks old

Millie after having been groomed

Millie day before her recent grooming

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Well this is how Buzz has developed his chocolate roan colouring. He was born choc/white, then after 3 weeks dark hair started growing from the roots, then light, then dark again ...like the rings of a tree. No every hair shaft is the same colour at the root. The last picture show this. J x

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Well this is how Buzz has developed his chocolate roan colouring. He was born choc/white, then after 3 weeks dark hair started growing from the roots, then light, then dark again ...like the rings of a tree. No every hair shaft is the same colour at the root. The last picture show this. J x

He is stunning,i just love choccy roans xxx

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amazing hoW Buzz coat changes. He is quite a looker! JD, pls how old was Buzz in photos 1 2 and 3? thanks

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Amazing hoW Buzz coat changes. He is quite a looker! JD, pls how old was Buzz in photos 1 2 and 3? thanks
Thanks. 1 - 2/3 weeks, 2 - 10 weeks and 3 - 6 months old.

He now look different again as at 20 months old his full length coat started to naturally break off in places, so he had his first teddy bear clip yesterday. I'll try and take some picture of him today to add to this picture story.

J x

·
Registered
151 Posts
Julia - thanks for the photos of Buddy's coat over time...really interesting to see. Do you have any update photos also on your choccie sables with Woody and Woodetta? Am curious as to how they are changing, knowing that Boston will be similar.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Julia - thanks for the photos of Buddy's coat over time...really interesting to see. Do you have any update photos also on your choccie sables with Woody and Woodetta? Am curious as to how they are changing, knowing that Boston will be similar.
Yes please,me too, would love to see how the choccie sables are now,sooooo cute x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Thanks. 1 - 2/3 weeks, 2 - 10 weeks and 3 - 6 months old.

He now look different again as at 20 months old his full length coat started to naturally break off in places, so he had his first teddy bear clip yesterday. I'll try and take some picture of him today to add to this picture story.

J x
A photo would be great Julia we can then use it as a reference for our groomer (thats if Buddy will ever let anyone groom him!)

Has Buzz always been really good when you've groomed him or was he fidgety when he was younger?

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
A photo would be great Julia we can then use it as a reference for our groomer (thats if Buddy will ever let anyone groom him!)

Has Buzz always been really good when you've groomed him or was he fidgety when he was younger?
Buzz has never been too bad being groomed to be honest. A big part of being a groomer is about getting the dog into a position where you are always in control so that you can stay calm and quiet if they wriggle. The groomers calm way is a vital part of getting the dogs trust. Regular trips to the groomer as puppies, even if the groomer doesn't do very much at all in the way of actually grooming will pay dividends later.

Here are some rough pictures I snapped on my phone this evening of Buzz's trim. I'll try and get some good quality ones over the weekend. J xx

BUZZ at 6 months old

BUZZ at 20 months old with my interpretation of a Teddy Bear Trim.

·
Registered
629 Posts
BUZZ at 20 months old with my interpretation of a Teddy Bear Trim.
Wow! He looks gorgeous. It's so lovely to see how he has changed. Pepper's fur is quite similar to Buzz as a pup so hopefully it's a good guage for how she might develop!

He'll fly over those jumps at agility now Julia - new aerodynamic Buzz! Although I was quite looking forward to seeing his long, flowing locks doing agility. :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for the photos ,Buddys coat looks excatly the same at 6 mths.
Donna I was about to say the same! That photo of Buzz at 6 months could be Luna. She is exactly the same!

I can't believe Buzz has been clipped but I bet he feels different! And it'll be interesting to see how it grows back. We are finding more and more matts daily on Luna. We've just spent ages getting rid of some on her legs. I've booked her into her first grooming session next Sunday 11th for a bath and tidy up and really to get her used to it. The lady seems to have loads of experience with cockapoos and their coats and their matts so fingers crossed...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts