I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my new 8 week old puppy hates being in her crate she literally crys till she is exhausted falls asleep then an hour or so later she starts again this continues through the night. I had her close too the bed and put my hand near her crate but didn't talk to her. She had toys and warm blankets and a thermal blanket to keep her warm. Is it just time and I should continue doing the same or please has anyone got any advice as I find it very upsetting and I got no sleep at all. I just want to be sure that I am doing the right thing. Thank you .

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Only you can decide what your long term rule will be. If you want to sleep tonight then move her crate to where you can't hear her. If you plan on keeping the crate then persevere in your room and it will get better eventually. If you are willing to forgo it then pull her into your bed with you, she will snuggle in and you'll all sleep soundly, but you likely will never get her out.:) We opted for the third strategy with few regrets.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
It could take a few nights to adjust to complete new surroundings and home x
Bare with her...... It's a huge change in her little life, she will settle down.
My boy Ralph was fine.
6 months later when I bought ruby home... She was crated - it sounded like a stray seagull!!
Enjoy the baby puppy days, they don't last long

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nighttime crate

Hi thanks for your reply I had another awful night and at 4am she got so distressed I did the wrong thing and gave in got her out her crate and she fell fast asleep on the bed . I really don't know what to do now. Really need advice .xxx

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Well if she was that distressed I wouldn't leave the poor puppy either.
Does she need to toilet at that time?
Maybe try taking her out to toilet - with very little talking and no playing.
Let her wee/poo & put her back in the crate.?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Why, oh why did you do the wrong thing? You did exactly the right thing. You took her in your arms and snuggled her beside you. You gave her the love, comfort and security she needed. Keep it up. Well done for following your gut instinct. What a bond you will have with her. Fab u LOUS. Well done. :congrats::congrats::congrats::jumping::jumping::jumping::star::star::star:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nighttime crate

Thanks Cat it's nice tobe told I am not doing it wrong, it's so hard to know what to do sometimes. I just want to bring her up the right way and I love her so much. :ilmc::ilmc:

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
There is no "right" way. As long as you treat her with kindness and affection, train her well and provide her with plenty of opportunities to use her poodle brain you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Thanks Cat it's nice tobe told I am not doing it wrong, it's so hard to know what to do sometimes. I just want to bring her up the right way and I love her so much. :ilmc::ilmc:
If people are telling you 'you are making a rod for your own back' tell them to butt out. How can accommodating a 'baby's' needs be that baby a human, a dog, a cat, a koala, an elephant be wrong. By doing this you will ensure you have a confident, secure, delightful little dog. I promise you, your bond will be priceless. Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'm so with Cat on this one. I couldnt bear to hear mine whimper as puppies alone and afraid. Mine both sleep on my bed on a large fleecy blanket and I have never regretted it one bit. It's not set in stone- sometimes they prefer to sleep outside our bedroom door probably to avoid my husband snoring!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try to relax a bit, I was just like you when I got Murphy, not wanting to do the 'wrong' thing, but there's no right or wrong. Murphy slept in his crate by my bed and after a week he stopped crying eventually we moved crate out and he was fine. He is now nearly 1 year old and even tho I said he never would, he's sleeping on our bed! Haha they have a way if worming into your heart!! I still occasional ask him to sleep in his fabric crate (especially when It comes to holiday time and he has to stay at the boarders or other family members) and he does this without any fuss. It's like he knows he would rather be with us, but the crates fine too. He always wakes earlier if he's in his crate tho!

What I'm trying to say is that you will find what works for you and try to enjoy when they r little, they grow so fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts