I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I wondered if anyone could help Georgie my 12 week old puppy has been scratching for weeks and sometimes cries out . I have spoken to the vet and she has treated her with advocate which treats fleas and lots of different mites. The vet can't see anything on her skin. I have also changed her diet to pro plan sensitive salmon and rice. I feel so sorry for her and really want to sort this problem out. Any advice would be great. Thanks .

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I presume his ears have been checked for ear mites?
Poor little chap, also do his claws need clipping??
I know little puppy nails can be sharp, maybe he's scratching himself too hard?
X

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks so much for replying she has had her ears checked and her skin and the vet can't find anything . I have also had her claws trimmed as she was getting them caught all the time. I have recently changed her diet to a grain free diet with Salmon so will see if that helps. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Ah poor Georgie, she looks gorgeous and very snuggly,
I think chicken can cause allergies, maybe try eliminating all chicken products too, to see if this helps x
Keep us updated - hope you solve her problem soon
Ps apologies for thinking Georgie was a boy..... She's far too pretty to be a boy! :)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Poor pup, still she looks beautifully relaxed in your picture.
When you bath her try and keep her ears dry and check regularly that her ears do not have a nasty smell - smelly ears are an indicator of mites/infection that can be irritating and painful.
However if all else seems well, I'd try and distract her from her scratching with a fun squeaky toy or Kong smeared with a touch of marmite or something :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi and congrats on your new pup! She's adorable!!

From experience with my 8 month old, grain free was definitely the way to go. When Miss Lilly came to live with me, she had gunky ears, eye gloop, drier, more wiry fur than she does now and she used to scratch a lot!

I changed her to a grain free kibble (slowly) and everything improved hugely. Her ears are now so clean that I don't have to do anything at all to them and she no longer has any eye gloop apart from the odd bits of sleep in the mornings. The scratching virtually stopped and her fur became much softer and shinier.

However, although the kibble was clearly helping, Miss Lilly never seemed to get much pleasure from her meals and also had the odd bouts of diarrhoea. My vet suggested that the food might be too rich for her (it was an 80/20 mix) - but I suspect that it was more to do with her tendency to scavenge (getting much better as she gets older thankfully!)

By this time I had already been reading a lot about RAW food and it really bothered me that on the dry food, Miss Lilly would become sooo thirsty about half an hour after eating. I just can't imagine that scoffing a bowl of dry kibble and then having to replenish her fluids so dramatically was either very good or very pleasant for her (a bit like trying to eat a plate of rich tea biscuits or crackers I think!)

So we switched: She started on Natural Instinct (now changed to Nutriment) and positively loves her food. The first few days she was desperately trying to dig through her bowl to see if there was more underneath!!).

As far as I'm concerned, RAW is the way to go. I'm a total convert because I can see the benefits to Miss Lilly so clearly and she actually now enjoys her food rather than just eating for the sake of appeasing her hunger.

Whatever you decide, grain free definitely worked for us. But be aware that rice is also a grain!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have changed Georgie's food to a completely grain free dry food plus I mix in a little pure chicken and vegetable also grain free wet food, just to make it more tasty for her. So time will tell if it is the grain. Fingers crossed it will sort it out. Thanks again for the advice. :)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I feed both mine raw and coats, eyes, ears and skin are wonderful. Gunk free, shiny, clean bright eyed and white teeth. They are both calm loving dogs. I would ditch the kibble and feed her raw. Especially as she seems quite sensitive. It's as convenient as kibble and so much better for your dog. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I feed raw, so I obvs would recommend it, as cat53 above. If it's not for you, then grain free, but be aware that one of the most common things to be allergic to is chicken. So maybe swap the chicken u r adding to something else or leave it out entirely to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts