I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just wondered if any one could help I am feeling a bit out of my depth with Georgie she is 15 weeks old and is very bitey and lunges and growls when she is over excited. When I try to put her harness and coat on she bites and struggles so much I could cry. When we are out walking she is fine one minute then she starts jumping up at the back of my legs ripping my trousers trying to grap the poo bags which then empties all over the floor and gets my clothes. She also runs around like mad sometimes and growls and leaps up biting. I dread taking her out and have tried stopping walking in another direction etcnothing works. Is this happening to anyone else ,is it normal or have I made her this way. Please help,as I am feeling pretty desperate. When she is calmer she is adorable but when she is like this and she is like it with other people to its hard. She bit my 91 year old auntie last week !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Sounds like Georgie needs more sleep time, there are many posts on here from new owners who have experienced exactly the same,
How much are you walking her? She could be getting over tired.
Plenty of sleep and more rest is needed, less stimulation.
Do you use a crate?
Your poor auntie - I hope she wasn't too shocked.
You will just need to keep correcting Georgie when she plays up - it will pass I promise.
In the meantime ....... Have a glass of wine (a bit early right now!) x

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Are you going to puppy classes with her? It can often help you feel less alone as others have the same struggles.

With harness and coat on - where are you located? How cold is she and does she really need the coat right now? No coat will halve the battle. I would also try to choose a harness which is easy to get on and try to have some training sessions to teach her to have it put on calmly without the fight. Too much excitement and walk away and try again.

Jumping up for poo bags - hmmmmm - take a good look at what this looks like from a puppy perspective, you are walking along dangling something tempting at a height which is achievable with some effort and which shreds when you reach it - the ultimate in dog toys all there on offer for her. So - poo bag in a pocket out of the way, no dangling coats, scarves or tassles to tempt her - although she sounds like she would love to work for the joy of a tuggy toy so could well be worth working on for the future?

Biting your 91 year old auntie is unfortunate - but she is a baby who is just playing and means no harm.

If you were close enough (I am in the west midlands) I would love to give you a hand with the lead walking - I wrote a post a while ago - will try to find it!! Back in a bit!!

Post found and put in a seperate loose lead walking post

http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=76458

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Keep breathing!
I'm sorry about your auntie - unfortunately elderly people have very thin skin - your pup did not mean to hurt, but I'm sorry that you had this to go through as I'm sure that it has shaken your confidence. Try to keep this in perspective.

What happens at your pup's meal times?
Will she sit while you put her dish on the floor and stay sitting, looking at you rather than her bowl, until you give her a release command? May sound like an odd question but if Georgie knows how to restrain her behaviour in one situation it may be easier for her to learn it in others.
Meal times are an excellent opportunity to train because the end reward is so wonderful - a whole bowl of yumminess.
This is a link (I hope) to a you tube training clip which I like - a lovely example of gentle positive training: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNFfiMYhV9g
Also check out some of Zak George's training videos - dioren brought them to my attention and I like his one on stopping puppy biting particularly as he makes the point about not getting too frustrated over it and rather than focusing on NO,no,no, stop, stop stop! redirect and prasie the behaviour you do want.
2ndhandgal already made some brilliant points re lead walking and the poo bag fiascoes :)eek:). I'd invest in a lined shoulder bag for keeping filled bags in, if you don't like the idea of a pocket! Also take that sit training outside with you with the reward being Yay let's play with a tugga!
Don't give up - Georgie will be your best friend for years to come, help her now to make you happy.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Based on how you are feeling I would really recommend getting in touch with a good trainer local to you, they have dealt with pretty much everything before and can give you tips on how to react in these situations. The puppy will learn many things from your response. They are only little at this age and many puppies go through funny phases (it's not at all uncommon for them to jump and bite the lead or hang off clothing etc) Whilst these things can pass naturally, how you deal with it can help prevent habits being formed and I think it would be worth arming yourself with some knowledge from a trainer to boost your confidence. If you are stressed and don't know what to do, the puppy will react to this. Likewise if you are confident and assertive because you know how to deal with something the puppy will react to this.

As a general rule it can help to ignore behaviour you don't want and reward behaviour you do. The biggest reward is attention for doing something, so if the puppy is doing something you don't want and you say to it 'oh what are you doing that for?' - that is still attention. If the puppy is growly or bitey, calmly leaving the room is far more effective than any other kind of telling off or fuss

Also I agree I wouldn't bother with the coat or harness for now

We've all been there in one way or another - good luck!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Also if I remember correctly (and I'm not sure I do, it was a while ago!!) 15 weeks is a difficult teething age. Teething is painful for them and it can come out in all sorts of ways. When Gandhi is uncomfortable he is much more reactive

Another thing - don't be alarmed when I recommend seeing a trainer. Some people seem to think of a trainer as a terrible last resort but it's just like having a teacher teach you something instead of having to struggle through finding out everything by yourself. In my mind a good time to call a trainer is when you feel unconfident about how to deal with things. Gandhi was our first dog and we've taken advice from a trainer on a few things, all of which has boosted our confidence and helped nip things in the bud so we can spend more time enjoying our puppy rather than worrying about if we're doing it right or wrong :) This place is very helpful too of course

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like Georgie needs more sleep time, there are many posts on here from new owners who have experienced exactly the same,
How much are you walking her? She could be getting over tired.
Plenty of sleep and more rest is needed, less stimulation.
Do you use a crate?
Your poor auntie - I hope she wasn't too shocked.
You will just need to keep correcting Georgie when she plays up - it will pass I promise.
In the meantime ....... Have a glass of wine (a bit early right now!) x
Thank you for all your help and advice it helps knowing you are all out there. I will give everything a try and let you know how I get on. She is my first dog so I am feeling a bit out of my depth . We are going to puppy classes and I am thinking of having a one to one session with the trainer too. X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts