I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We stayed overnight in a dog friendly hotel in Scarborough on Saturday night and up bright and early as we had to get Poppy hight measured ( you have to get 3 measurements to get a hight card. This is for the heights of the jumps as the smallest dog in a team determines the hight of the jumps ).
Then we did a stint in the ring learning how the times are recorded and box judging, a lot more to the sport than you think recording the time of each dog is quite stressfully, and the noise as all the dogs are excited is far removed from a training session.
Then is was our turn to race in the starters class. This was on a fully netted course, on our first run Poppy got to the netting and stopped (she has not run in netting for over a month ) and turned to me as much as to say what do I do, had to send her again. As each race its the first team to win 3 legs, she did get it together again, ( dogs in other teams were having similar problems so we didn't feel too bad ). In the end our team came 5th so not bad at all. The poor team that came last didn't win a single leg, all their dogs were racing for the first time. At least I was in a team that had a couple of dogs that had raced before.
A lot to get used to most of all the noise, but have been reassured that we did not do bad for our first time.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Great stuff Poppy. Is she competing and registered with BFA?

After seeing what you were doing with Poppy on ILMC I finally found a team that has just relocated and was only 20 mins away and Flo has now had 3 sessions. It's great fun and I'm taking Flo to the Norfolk 'All About Dogs' show next weekend with the flyball team to do demos and let interested owners give it a go with their dogs.

Flo has only been 3 times and can already run in the unetted run and take the ball from the box.

Here she is in action (and thanks Colin for inspiring me to get involved in this - have already made lots of friends on the team)...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to see you are hooked Mandy I was after the first week of training. lol.
Both my wife and myself are BFA members. and this was a BFA competition. Next one is a 3 day event at Drax in Yorkshire over the bank holiday weekend, we are entered in the starters again and a member of the division team. But will only run in division if she is ok in the warm up. So hope to collect my first points.
Flyball people are so friendly as you have found out. I have never competed in a sport that you get so much help from other teams.
Hope we are both an inspiration to others to have ago at activity's that stretch their dog physically and mentally and be happy dogs.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Great news Colin wel done Poppys team. Flo pictures are great ... I think Mable would enjoy it will have to have a look and talk to you tomorrow Colin x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That looks and sounds fab! I am hoping to do something like that with Daisy when she is older! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts