I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning All....

You may have read previously that my male cockapoo Oakley has scented up my kitchen bin, up myself etc... Well this morning he has decided to scent all over my sofa... oh dear

He is an entire male I have been advised this is sometimes the behaviour of stud dogs.... also I think Honey may be coming into season... she is a little swollen , she is cleaning herself more frequently and she is very clingy.... it’s all good fun here this morning ...

Any advice and support would be lovely xxx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will breed from them but not yet ... if Honey is in season I will be keeping them apart :S

My poor sofa has been Oakley'ed ... yuk .. it smells so strong ...

I have lots of cleaning to be done ....

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Karen .. my sofa is smelly... just reading the cleaning instructions now ... so much for popping out for new school uniform ... ha ha ha .. change of plan :)

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
He must be having a manly monday :laugh:
What a naughty Oakley!!! Has the sofa got to be all done before hubby sees/smells it???? I remember when my greyhound decided to chew the window frame, I had to fill, sand and paint it all before He got home!!!!!! He would have gone bonkers but he still doesn't know to this day :D:D

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hubby will be fine ... ha ha ha ... I guess it all part of the experience and another post for the blog .. lol .. Oakley is acting rather strange this morning, seems to be protecting Honey .. and Honey well I think something is going on, she is sleeping now but wanting lots of cuddles .. she is a cuddly dog anyway but even more cuddly than normal, Oakley is being rather gentle with her ... am I ready for this ...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
How are you going to keep Oakley and Honey apart JoJo? Will you use your super outside kennel? I think Oakley might have a few frustrating weeks ahead!

Good luck with the sofa!

Karen

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not 100% sure she is coming into season but there are a few signs ...

Cleaning is going well .. cover off sofa.. drying the garden :) What a morning !!!!

I may have to take Oakley to my parents if it gets too bad for him .... but plan A would be to keep them apart at home, ahh they love each other so much they will miss each other ..

G

·
poor jojo it must be awful must admit never had a dog who did that ,so im no expert maybe jd can help or anzils romeox

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh no really ...

Anyone else had a male dog doing this ???

He is not dominate over Honey at all .. he lets her eat first etc, but I he likes to mark his territory ...

I think he is a little frustrated already actually ....

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Jo jo I think I would send him to your parents if Honey breaks!!!!!!! It would be like me having a fresh cream cake under my nose and not being able to eat it!!!!! I would be climbing the walls :D
We also know how smart cockapoo's are......where there is a will there is a way..................................:D:D

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is very true ... I will pack Oakley off for a holiday with Nanny and Grandad as soon as I am sure .. they are both acting a bit weird today .. may be its just me .. but the scenting from Oakley, Honey licking and she is a little swollen ...

I just want to do the best from them and we dont want them getting too close if she is in season :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi JoJo
See what tomorrow brings. They could just be having a funny day :eek: Then again, it might be a pre cursor to the real thing.

No male dogs here so not real advice - sorry :D

Hope the sofa cover had dried off now. x

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
You're babies are growing up.

Well JoJo your two are leaving the world of being big puppies. Yes you will find that Oakley will instinctively spray his territory when any girlies that you have are coming into season. Honey may not be in yet but if she is a bit swollen and extra cuddly (feeling hormonal.......I think all of us ladies can empathise:() then you can be sure she will be in season pretty soon.

Because of the urge to spray we do not let our stud dogs roam the house at will. If we are busy they are generally in their outside run, if we go out they are in their crates and they only run in the house when we are with them. It takes a bit of advanced house training but when we are there, they're OK. It is also the reason that we have had Buzz and Yum-Yum castrated just before they were a year old as it would be unfair for them to get frustrated when the girls were in season but not to be mating at all. The dogs brain doesn't develop into an adult one until the hormones really kick in just after a year old, so there is a window of a couple of months from say 10 months old and being pretty well full grown (they need the hormones to grow correctly) and their 1st birthday. So Buzz and Yum-Yum will now stay, kind of like full grown puppies and will not stress after the girls.

A note though, some castrated male dogs will attempt and sometimes succeed in mating with and tie with an in season bitch.

You will have to wait and see how Oakley reacts when Honey is in season but my suggestion would be to try and keep the separation thing as relaxed as possible and see if you can just keep bars between then but still allow them some sort of sight of each other. We treat it as just a part of life for the stud boys, sometimes they can have the ladies and sometimes they can't and they seem to have accepted that.

Julia xx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must admit packing lovely Oakley off to my parents (great people btw) will be my last choice .. I will try my hardest to just separate them here, I do have a kennel & run, and we do use crates, and my dogs are always around me ... plus we would all miss him more than you know (especially Ken.. can’t believe I am typing that but it’s true, he has a strong bond with Oakley)... but I must not let him get to her... I really don’t want puppies yet for Honey .. second season would be ok but now ..

Thank you friends for all your support xxx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha ha ha .. Ah thanks Colin ... :) How will JoJo ever let them go ...

They will certainly be loved little puppies, that’s for sure .. I will be sleeping in the same room as Honey and pups knowing me ...

I have already been asked about a waiting list :) .. I was truly flattered and yes I will let them know when I breed Honey and stay in contact with them ...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts