I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I had an important question which I am hoping you will all be able to advise me on. My Cockapoo is called Alfie and he is 7 months old. I am seriously considering getting a second dog, a mini Labradoodle. Alfie is extremely sociable, loves other dogs and people. He has never minded other dogs in 'his house' and is not possesive. Do you feel he is too young? The other dog is 14 weeks old. Will eagerly await your thoughts!!
Siobhan

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had the same dilemma. Poppy is 5 months old and we were planning on waiting until she was 1 before getting a second dog. However, the opportunity came up and we went for it! We have had Daisy 1 week and for the first few days I thought we had made a mistake, but now they are playing really well together and there are no problems except the size difference and Poppy being a bit over enthusiastic. In my limited experience it seems to be working out ok.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
go for it, but dont panic if alfie does fall out with the puppy, just like witb kids the novilty wairs off but they will be best of fridnds in no time.

is the mini doodle a boy or a girl

·
Registered
148 Posts
We got Ellie when Maisy was 11 months, they both got one fine from day 1. alfie sounds like Maisy, she is very laid back, loves other dogs and people and has got a fantastic temperament. I'm sure it will be fine - enjoy! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have just got our 2nd adorable cockapoo, Dexie is 18mnths old and Oscar now 9 weeks. We too had always wanted another dog and had a few concerns about when was the right time to do it. But can i say no need to worry at all.
They have been together now for 4 days and are loving eachother. We still havent mastered the nightime routine as Dexie sleeps upstairs with us and Oscar downstairs. Dexie wants to check on him throughout the night and keeps coming downstairs, so we have had a few early mornings. Hubby has just gone out to get a stairgate !! :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Can only ditto what everyone else says really, cos Wilf was so lovely you so want another but really dont want it to go wrong for your first doggie..... we kept toying with the idea and by the time we'd decided and then searched Wilf was 3 but with hind sight and if I'd had my time again I'd definitely go younger... its so lovely having 2, good luck x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Second dog

Hi, thank you so much for your replies! In response to the *** of Goldendoodle, I do have a choice. I was considering another male dog. Perhaps I could have some thoughts on that idea. Also, has anyone found that the dogs bond with each other and not to the family. AND, does it prove to be a bigger problem when going out to places with two dogs, not accepted so readily etc. I have taken Alfie almost everywhere with us and would not like that to stop, they are part of the family afterall, aren't they?
Siobhan

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
It is a personal choice when to get your second dog really, I think you will know what you can and can’t handle and dogs can be a handful when you have 1 or when you have 7 of them, they are all different...

As for the male or female goldendoodle it is up to you, if the males are both going to be neutered then I think they should be fine .. send pics of your goldendoodle .. I almost adopted one a few months ago, totally fell in love with him.... he was a big Oakley :) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts