I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Benny has separation anxiety. I'll use our recent camping trip as an example. Whenever anyone would walk away from him, even if other people were around, Benny would begin to cry -- sometimes loudly. He wouldn't stop until that person returned. Or if they were gone for a long while, he'd stop once he wore himself out. :rolleyes:

Could Benny have separation anxiety? Could he really miss someone that much when they'd walk away?

Just to make sure everyone knows, he doesn't normally do this. The only time he shows behavior like this is if we go somewhere in the house he can't get to, due to an obstacle like a door. We just noticed he was pretty bad during our camping trip with separation.

Any thoughts or similar experiences with this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes. My puppy has to go EVERYWHERE I go. She could be sleeping, hear me get up and go to the washroom, and she'll get up too and follow me. She won't go outside by herself either, she needs me to come out with her or she won't go. And she'll only eat or drink if someone else is in the room with her. Is this normal behaviour?

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. My puppy has to go EVERYWHERE I go. She could be sleeping, hear me get up and go to the washroom, and she'll get up too and follow me. She won't go outside by herself either, she needs me to come out with her or she won't go. And she'll only eat or drink if someone else is in the room with her. Is this normal behaviour?
Benny follows us around everywhere as well. It's sad when you see him get up from a nap to follow you to a room he's not allowed it. It's like he thinks, "I got up from my nap just to watch you go into this room I can't even come in." He'll just sit there and look at you (and sometimes bark to get you to come out).

Benny doesn't mind eating/drinking alone. However, he'll often save his dinner and eat it when someone comes home from work. For whatever reason, he loves to eat whenever someone new enters the house. :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog Muttly also fallows me everywhere, but the part that really breaks my heart is whenever I leave the house even to take out the garbage if i dont take him with me he jumps in the window and whines and paws at the window. It is by far the sadist thing I have ever seen. As far as eating goes if I leave the room while hes eating he only fallows if Im going upstairs, he like to be on thee same level of the house as me. I love that about him it shows me he loves me as much as I love him.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Benny used to go to the window too whenever we left. I haven't really noticed him doing it much lately though. I guess he's gotten used to it.

I always find it sad when everyone's leaving at the same time, and Benny's sitting by the door looking at us with the "am I going too?" face. Then we have to walk out without him. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought my cockapoo was just really needy because she is a puppy. But I guess they don't grow out of this? I think it is so adorable that she wants to be everywhere that we are, however I really worry about her when we aren't in the house. She gets so upset when one of us just leaves the room.
-Nicole

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought my cockapoo was just really needy because she is a puppy. But I guess they don't grow out of this? I think it is so adorable that she wants to be everywhere that we are, however I really worry about her when we aren't in the house. She gets so upset when one of us just leaves the room.
-Nicole
Since she's still a puppy, are you crate training her? When Benny was a puppy, we'd put him the crate whenever no one would be home, for his own safety. He hated it, so after a little while we'd start leaving him out of the crate when we'd be gone for a short time. Over time, he'd be out of the crate almost all the time, except when no one would be home for several hours.

By the time he was a year old (I can't remember exactly when), we stopped using the crate. Whenever we leave, he just goes upstairs to bed and sleeps. We know this because every time someone comes home, he comes from the bedroom. And sometimes he won't even leave the bed! :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
crate or kitchen

:mad:Hey Dave,
We tried crate training for a couple of nights and Bear pooped in her crate and cried and barked so loud. This is a problem because we live in a condo. However we have a relatively small kitchen we have closed off with a puppy gate and we leave her in there when we are not both at home. She seems to be better about the kitchen than the crate. Probably because she will go on the paper if she can't hold it and in the crate she is stuck in there with it (maybe thats the point) LOL but we just can't let her cry all night in the condo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Nicole and Eddie
PS Last night I was completly weak and let her sleep in bed with me and she pooped on my pillow and I put my hand in it :mad :mad:

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
when is her last meal. it could be you are feeding her too late and thats why she cant hold it.

are you still taking her out in the midle of the night to see that she does the toilet if she needs it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
crate issues

Well we feed her her last meal at 6pm. We still get up to take her out and we take her out before we put her in there, but as soon as she goes in she gets so upset that she poops!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
you might need to stay out with her longer and make sure she hap pooed before you bring her in, have you got a toilet comand for her, like peepee or be clean or toilet time. once they learn itsts like a promped and they will toilet on comand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oreo, does follow me around the house and he sleeps with me. However when I have to go out I give him a duty. I tell him to watch the house for me. This gives him a job to do while I am away. My neighbor said that it stopped all the crying he use to do. When I come home or when I leave I dont make a big deal of it. I wait until he calms down when I come home then I reward him. Now when he notices I am about to leave he will go to the steps or sit on the couch. I tell him to watch the house. No more crying. I do this even when I have to be gone over night. It works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,
I am having similar issues with our 9 week old puppy Toby.
We are trying crate training and have used all the tricks in the book (treats hidden, blanket over the crate, staying in the room with him while he is in the crate, leaving the crate door open....) but he doesn't stop crying.
He crys when we leave the room and he cant come (for example if we go upstairs). I left him in his crate as I had to go out for an hour and when I came back he was still crying and a complete state.
The first night we had him he slept ok in the crate but the next 4 nights he cried all night, now he crys for an hour when I put him in (usually 12pm to 1am) then sleeps, wakes up at 3am and cries so I take him out to pee then he cries constantly till I get up at 5.30am. After hegets up he falls asllep on the lounge floor but wakes up if I leave the room or ty to put him back in the crate and crys again.
He won't eat unless someone is there with him because he just follows us away from the food if we leave.
I don't know where we have gone wrong. I have 3 puppy books and waited 2 years to get him. I have to go back to work soon and was planning on having someone come in for an hour at lunchtime, then someone is home in the afternoon but I don't think this is going to be enough for him. I don't want to make him unhappy or upset :(
Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to add, Toby was from a litter of 11 so I was wondering if this was having an impact and wether getting another cockapoo so they can keep eachother company would be a good idea?

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't remember exactly what we did with Benny. I think eventually we gave into the idea that he just wasn't going to sleep in a crate. So we got him a doggy bed and put it in the hallway upstairs near the bedrooms. Needless to say, he took advantage of his location to cry and scratch at the doors of our bedrooms. Now he sleeps in bed with someone every night. Maybe you could try keeping the crate in your room, if it's not already there.

As he gets older, you can start leaving him out of the crate when you leave the house for a short while. We started leaving Benny out of the crate alone for maybe an hour or less at first. As he got used to it (and grew out of his puppy phase), we started leaving him out for longer periods of time. After a couple months, he was always out of his crate. I wouldn't really recommend leaving him out of his crate for a long time as a puppy though, especially if he's teething.

It is tough to hear him cry, but just keep in mind that he won't be in the crate forever. In a couple months he'll start getting more freedom. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jersey used to cry whenever I left the room even if someone else was in there. What I started doing was giving him a treat every time I leave and then not making a huge fuss when I come back. His crying is getting less and less. As for the crate thing, I've started waiting until Jersey falls asleep, put him in the crate and let him fall back to sleep if I wake him up, then I leave the room before he can wake up and see me. As long as he doesn't see me leave he wont cry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I got Bobby I was full of big ideas that he was going to sleep in his crate in the kitchen, no messing!

First night, I put him in his crate upstairs in my bedroom as I had read that hearing you breathing helps them settle and not be anxious.

He cried continuously all night but I ignored him and only let him out every couple of hours to use a puppy pad.

Next night - same routine, same amount of crying.

This went on for three or four nights and in the end I totally caved in and let him on my bed. He snuggled down and slept all night - I even had to wake him up to have a pee. Bliss!

Since then, he has slept on my bed, and now sleeps all night through to about 6.30, when he wakes me up for a wee. During the day though he will willingly go into the crate for a sleep, although I leave the door open for him when I am in.

If I am going out, I hide treats under his blankets, and fill a Kong with very tasty treats - sausage, chicken, cheese, and seal the end. Sometimes I freeze it so he has to work hard to get stuff out. I throw the Kong into the crate and immediately leave the house.

I have had a listen at the door and there is never a peep out of him.

He does follow me all around the house though, although now has the manners to sit at the threshold of the bathroom door when I am in there :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kirby has the same problem but only when I leave. My husband and I have assumed that because he watches my husband leave every morning he is used to that. He is crate trained, so when I leave he goes in the crate and I put a blanket over it so he is not actually seeing me leave him. But if I leave when my husband is with him he yelps, howls and stands on his back paws for some time after I leave. Even if I'm just walking over to the garbage can to throw out his poo when we are on a walk. It's nice to know that he loves me that much, but I don't want this to develop into separation anxiety. He's fine when I leave him in the crate though. Our trainer mentioned making sure he is calm when you leave and ignore him until he is calm when you come back, but like I said sometimes I've only taken a few steps away:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wakes up at 3am and cries so I take him out to pee then he cries constantly till I get up at 5.30am.
Just wondering when he gets up at 3am are you waiting until he is calm before you let him out. That is a big thing, if you are letting him out of the crate when he is crying he learns that all he needs to do is cry and you will let him out. Practice during the day, put him in for a few minutes once he calms down give him a treat and let him out (he doesnt even have to be in there very long). He will learn that he has to be calm to be let out, and eventually the crate will be his calm place. I say practice during the day just because you probably will get more frustrated at night because you are tired, your afraid he will wake up the neighbours etc. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
334 Posts
crate training

tobysfamily
i also read books and waited a long while before i got my puppy
thought i had all the info i needed
he is easy to learn and willing to train but the crate ........
he will use it in day in and out but at night he will howl and cry
how we overcome this is to completly cover crate and added hot water bottle , clock,
and 2 big teddies so he could snuggle up!!
we put him in 10.30 after his wee
he cies 2min and then peace till 6am
i feel he needed someone to be right close to.
and in the day he goes in by himself
and sleeps
hope this helps in a little way
good luck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts