I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Axle yelps and crys his little heart out like he is in extreme pain when I leave the house. He is also crate trained so when I do leave the house he goes in his crate. I also put a blanket over it so he cannot see. As soon as I lock the front door it begins. I actually was starting to wonder when I might get noise complaints. He crys so loud its painful to me. I can hear him when I am not even in front of my house. I wonder how long he does that or if he stops after a minute? I feel so bad but I know that he will grow out of this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Flo is a total baby, she hates being left and cries, she is so happy to see you when you come in that up until very recently she pee's with excitement! the longest we an leave for (at just over a year old) is just over an hour, I thought it was just her being clinggy but it sounds like its the same with alot of other cockapoos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sawyer had very bad separation issues when we first got him. He used to cry and cry and when we came back he still whined a little bit, kind of shaky, like he was scared. Now when we leave, he just sits. If he's laying down, he usually doesn't even bother to get up. We got him at a shelter and his owner had surrendered him, so he probably had abandonment issues, but he seems just fine now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Lola is two years old and just whines and howls and barks any time I'm out of her sight. When I leave the house, holy smokes. It's heart breaking! I just adopted Lola a little over a week ago from a family with seven dogs and lots of activity so I know that she's adjusting to a whole new life. And, yes, it's only been about 10 days but I'm just not sure what to do. I live in an apartment and I know that Lola's cries disturb my neighbors. I've tried to follow the advice from my vet and training manuals and web sites and my dog walker but I just can't seem to find anything to relieve her suffering.

So, my question is how long do I give it until I try more drastic measures? My vet suggested Prozac and a neighbor used a bark collar on his dog. Both ideas make me uncomfortable but so does the idea of a knock on my door fro the guy who works nights and who has his sleep disturbed every morning or a call from my landlord. Mostly, I want my puppy to be happy. An suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
aw bless him, i love his bee outfit, i want one lol
Aw, thank you! I got it at Target.
My Lola is two years old and just whines and howls and barks any time I'm out of her sight. When I leave the house, holy smokes. It's heart breaking! I just adopted Lola a little over a week ago from a family with seven dogs and lots of activity so I know that she's adjusting to a whole new life. And, yes, it's only been about 10 days but I'm just not sure what to do. I live in an apartment and I know that Lola's cries disturb my neighbors. I've tried to follow the advice from my vet and training manuals and web sites and my dog walker but I just can't seem to find anything to relieve her suffering.

So, my question is how long do I give it until I try more drastic measures? My vet suggested Prozac and a neighbor used a bark collar on his dog. Both ideas make me uncomfortable but so does the idea of a knock on my door fro the guy who works nights and who has his sleep disturbed every morning or a call from my landlord. Mostly, I want my puppy to be happy. An suggestions? Thanks.
Aw, poor thing! Maybe you can practice during the day, just leaving for short amounts of time? My BF (who lives w/ me) goes out during the day for smoke breaks and Sawyer would whine even then, so I would give him a treat whenever my BF left. I also gave him bigger treats when we left home; one of them was some kind of pig-skin roll w/ dried bits of chicken liver inside. I think it took him about a month to really be okay with us leaving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting Better

Thanks for your advice. Lola seems to be doing better. She's becoming more independent by the day. I can actually walk around the apartment without tripping over her. I've started draping a throw over her crate (just two sides), making sure that she's chomping on her Kong before I walk out of the house, instilling an open door policy with the crate when I'm home and spending as much time with her as possible. All this seems to be working. There's less hysteria when I leave in the morning and my neighbors tell me that she's become much quieter during the day. I also notice that she's feeling a little less anxious in general. My neighbor now smiles and pets her when he sees her which, believe me, is a big deal!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts