I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Dexter for his first full groom today as he is resembling a yetti when I got to the groomers she said she would advise waiting until he was older to do a full cut as his adult coat is not through. She trimmed his face and feet, shaved underneath, clipped his nails and did ears and washed and dried him. I just wondered if anybody else had been told this as when I asked what age he would need his body cut she said maybe around 11 months. As I am booked to do the grooming course in March and now wondered if I should cut him on the course and if so whether this would effect his adult coat.

Has anybody else been told this?

Alison:confused:

· Registered
2,192 Posts
I ran the clippers over Remy today with a number 8 comb (1 inch) just to take the tips off and also to get her used to the clippers. My eldest boy was very encouraging and yelled 'OMG don't ruin her:eek:' as I wielded the clippers and was just about to start. I'll try and post a couple of pics tomorrow so you can see how she looks :D Personally I wouldn't leave it until 11 months as the adult coat will be through by then and they then may be telling you he's too matted and will need clipping right back - I prefer the 'little and often' approach.

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I agree with Mandy that little and often must surely be better than waiting for the adult coat to matt into an extra long puppy coat. Biscuit is only 5 months but had a woolly 3" coat that has just been trimmed to 1.5". I do prefer it longer but didn't want to risk letting it get to 4" and then having to have it taken right back when the adult coat came in.

Would love to see Remy's coat clipping pics!

· Registered
50 Posts
I have literally just had smudge trimmed today all over, her coat was a good 3 inches, and she just looked unloved and unkept. However much I brushed her. I think it is the right thing to get them trimmed regularly. My groomer said not before about 5 months as she felt just the whole grooming parlour could be a bit traumatic! Having said that she said smudge was brill and just adorable! What a proud mummy I was!! She looks absolutely adorable, just can't stop cuddling her, she is so so cute! So another thing experienced by my wonderful puppy, tick. I really don't see how having her fur cut now could possibly have a deteramental effect on the adult coat at all. Hope that helped :D

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Betty has been going to the groomers since she was 5 months or so and each time was just tidied up, even her body, just to ensure she was confident going to the groomers and keep her coat matt free.

· Registered
8,349 Posts
6 months old is what I always go by .. Picnic is needing a trim but I am just enjoying the fullness of her coat for a little longer as it is matt-free and so gorgeous ... have trimmed her undercarriage short though :)

· Registered
363 Posts
We took Arthur at 6 months and the groomer did exactly the same - trimmed face, feet, nether regions and said to wait until Arthurs coat came in - I actually wanted him to take a little more off his undercarriage which he didnt touch - however I wasnt happy with how Arthur looked facewise and wont be using him again.

I am tempted to get clippers and have a go at his coat myself as I want to keep him shaggy looking, luckily he isnt starting to matt yet. The groomer did say that Arthur would get a really thick coat as his mum was a red spaniel who have heavy coats(?). I have already accepted he will probably need a BIG cut in the spring to keep him cool in the summer:)(

· Registered
10,005 Posts
Oh Remy looks GORGEOUS!!! and I love that she is at the same spot in your house as Flo when you put her pics up....they must love that window!
OH REMY! you look so cuddly!!!

· Registered
2,192 Posts
....they must love that window!
It's one of the only places I ever seem to get the right light to show the colour properly and Remy will stand still long enough to get a decent photo as she is looking longingly at Flo in the garden and wants to go out and play :D Any sign of a number two for you yet?

· Registered
10,005 Posts
hahha nope...the breeder that we have been looking at has just had two litters, and neither litter had what my husband wants...he is dying for a chocolate. So no number two yet...she is expecting a thrid litter...but it doesn't look like there will be a chocolate unless there is a gradfateher gene that comes through...so still waiting on number two.

Two is easy right!!

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Their coats do vary. My two had first grooms at 7 months. This was a little late with Maisie as her coat was quite badly matted in places (her sides) and those parts had to be cut shorter creating rather a strange two-tone effect!

Bess had a light scissor trim at 7 months - she had no mats on her body (just small ones behind ears which could easily be cut out). The groomer said her adult coat was coming in and showed me she had longer parts (puppy coat) and slightly shorter (adult). I decided it was better to trim before mats set in, making it more manageable, though her loose waves are easier than Maisie's curls anyway.

So there's no hard and fast rule, it's up to you really, but I think it's best to do it before they desparately need it because of mats.

· Registered
8,349 Posts
Mandy ... Lovely Remy trim .... just looks likes Flo's double .. wonderful

Mo .. a choccy poo on hubby's wish list :) oh yes how gorgeous ..

I must admit I have 2 on my wish list .. a choccy (no surprise there then) and a red/apricot ... I know I am soooo naughty but sometimes nice too ..

· Registered
13 Posts
Abbie had her first cut last week. Her fur was about 3-4 inches long on her back and was just starting to get knots behind her ears. She looks great although having had a groomer come to our home and watching the whole process, I am very tempted to have a go myself next time. She looks lovely but the grooming was more like you would snip and shape a hedge so I'm sure I could do that!!! Although I tried to keep her hair out of her eyes by regularly trimming it I am much happier now she has had a proper cut. She actually had 2 full-sized eyes under that hair! Took a while to get used to her appearing to have a longer muzzle though, but she can carry it off, she is SOOOO cute!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.