I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any tips on introducing a new puppy to an adult dog? our 7 year old wheaten terrier is rather put out at the new 8 week old addition to the family, its been a week and their relationship is not improving! the pup seems to make our Ted anxious, and every now and again he barks and growls at him, which is unknown as he is always very friendly to other dogs. I dont want the pup to grow up timid and scared, but i do understand he needs to learn his place! also Ted is a giant compared to Ozzy. Help!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I introduced three cockapoos but 2 months apart in age, they play, growl and can be rough at times but generally playing is not aggressive or never worries me. I am sorry I can't help with introducing a puppy to an older dog but I am sure others on here will help you.

All I will say is it is early days, they may be sorting out the top dog, pack leader between them as long as its not too aggressive.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
it will take time, this is a big change he has had 7 years all to himself and now he has this anoying yappy littl furball bugging him and getting most of your attention. a week is a very short time. you are looking at a couple of weeks for things the settle down, but they will. just make sure you are spending lots of alone time with you wheten take him out some nice long walks, play games, get him a new toy that you know he will love get some of his fave treets. make puppy being in the house mean that he gets nice things.

some dogs it just takes longer, i know a woman who got a new puppy and her older dog toom a good number of moths before she accepted the pup they are now the best of palls.

it all takes time. its only been a week dont panic.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ted could be feeling a little left out as Ozzy will be getting all the attention.

Its hard but you have to try and keep to your older dogs routine as best you can, my wife takes Poppy on her morning walk by herself leaving Rosie at home, and during the day when we are out they are separated so Poppy still has the run of the house, on the evening walk I take the both of them and carry Rosie.

I took the week off when we got Rosie so I could get them to bond by playing with them and stepping in if the games got a bit rough. At first Poppy was a bit stand off and if she was lying down and Rosie tried to lie down beside her she would get up and move to somewhere Rosie could not get to her.

3 weeks on Poppy now lies on floor and Rosie jumps all over her and they snuggle up for a nap.

As Ted is older it could take a little longer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Time time and more time.
Even my year old is not over the moon after the first week with our new addition.
A bit of separate loving and activity is good but not too much as the aim is to get them involved in each other. It will be easier when normal walking resumes and games can be played away from the home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone! Ted is still getting his walks, I suppose it is early days, I'm just so surprised at his reaction! and it probably will get easier when i can take them both out. I will keep you posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts