I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,192 Posts
Flo was spayed 3 months after her first season. We didn't give her any medication for pain. She was given a 24 hour pain relief injection just before we picked her up by the vet. I think a dog may be a bit nervy, anxious and want cuddles for a few days as they must feel rotten and not know why and just want to feel protected by you - I know the first night I had to take Flo to sleep with me and she didn't sleep unless being cuddled - I suppose they must feel like they've been attached and want to feel safe to relax. She was quiet and careful in her movements for about 2 weeks but completely back to her old self (no change in personality) by say 4 weeks. It does take a while to recover from this major operation.

· Registered
2,192 Posts
gypsy waa bad but anastgetic lasted a long time with her. she wasnt right for a couple of days. the others were all fine.

once a bitch has has a season you must wait 3months before she can be spayed.

we were given no pain mex with any of ours, we just gave half an ibuprofin every 4or6 of hours i think.
Did you use an adult ibuprofen tablet?

· Registered
2,192 Posts
Keyhole would be great, poor Flo has a long 3-4 inch incision. They can be spayed before first heat - some are done as early as 8 weeks - or midway between first and second heat. In UK some vets won't spay before first season as they say the dog should mature properly, as was the case with Flo.

· Registered
2,192 Posts
wow 8 weeks is way too young for any opperation not desined to save their life.

all my girls were done 5months or 6 months Delta is almost 7 months so we need to get her done soon want to book her in for this week.
Very early spay - 8 weeks - is more common in US but their is a strong lobby that this is far too young - like you say it isn't a necessary op for a dog that age. My vet was adamant that she wouldn't spay until after first season - I did want her dome before first season but she refused. She insisted it shouldn't be done until the dog was fully matured internally, skeletal structure and hormonally so that's what I did with Flo. She seemed to think a dog was more prone to incontinence problems in old age if spayed before first season. There's a lot of debate around the subject - not sure there is a definitive right and wrong so go with your own feeling, what suits you and on advice from your vet.

I would definitely take a keyhole method if offered as it would be less pain and a quicker recovery I imagine.

· Registered
2,192 Posts
Shes has a severe reaction the vet said.is making me very nervous about getting her clippered for summer now though :(
But remember when they spay they shave them to the skin, when you get her clipped by a groomer they should use a comb attachment on the clipper blade to leave around half to 1 inch of fur so the blade won't touch the skin and shouldn't cause a clipper rash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.