I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
My previous dog has real problems with his skin, something that was eventually diagnosed as atopic dermatitis, which could be the problem with your dog.

There is some decent info on it in this link -

http://priory.com/vet/vetatop1.htm

I tried everything, but to be honest nothing really got rid of it completely. What did lessen it though was heavy doses of Piriton, a diet of raw meat, no treats or anything that could cause allerigies etc.

For his skin, obviously it was important to keep him clean of fleas, but othetr than that I found that putting socks on his paws helped to stop him licking and chewing them, and when they were really bad, and he had problems walking on them because of the pain, then dog boots for outside helped too.

I also found that rubbing Sudacrem on any sore bits worked well, and if I rubbed it on and then made sure he had something to keep him occupied he didnt lick it all off before it had time to help hi skin.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Piriton was prescribed by my vet and is easily available over the counter too. I think I started on one three times a day and adjusted the dose according to how itchy he was.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I dont know if my experiences eith my previous dog will help - he had all of the symptoms you describe from puppyhood and at times it was a nightmare to be honest.

He had all the spots on tummy, licking feet signs, and at times his feet were so red and raw that he literally couldn't stand on them. His legs would quiver and shake and he would keep sitting down and banging his back paws on the ground.

At times it was so bad that I genuinely thought he would have to be put down to stop him suffering. He wasn't a cockerpoo by the way, just a lab type mongrel.

After a long period of trial and error here is what I found helped.

Medicines and Treatments - Piriton, every day. He started on one I think but ended up taking 6 a day. They certainly helped but did not totally remove the problem.

I also found that Sudacrem helped ease the itching and pain too.

Food - Watch what you give him to eat, and that includes doggy treats. With Monty I stopped all treats and had him on various hypo allergenic diets. At first each one would seem to help but after time he started itching again.

For a while I even cooked his diet - fish, rice, a little bit of veg etc and that was the best result I had with him.

Household stuff - Stop using any substances on the floors - no cleaners, no carpet sprays, nothing but water.

Foot protection. - I used small kids socks on Monty and surprisingly enough he used to tolerate them really well. I would only use them when the licking was getting persistent (which with him was a good part of the time), and would keep them on with some Velcro strips so that his circulation wasn't impaired. Sometimes I would put two socks on each poor for added protection but it did help.

With Monty it seemed that if his paw was allowed to splay a bit, as pressure was put on them with walking it made things worse. The socks seemed to keep the paw supported so the skin didnt get stretched, if that makes sense.

He also had some little boots for when he went out for a walk, again this was only done when his feet were very bad and as he got older and the problem eased he didnt need them at all.

Vets - one big thing I regret was that I didnt have insurance for him and so couldnt afford for him to get skin tests etc for him. A search on the web made me think he had something called atopic dermatitis - here's a bit of info on that that might help.

http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-health/atopic_dermatitis_in_dogs.htm

http://priory.com/vet/vetatop1.htm

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a cockapoo with same issues. Horrible. Have spent so much money on vet bills. He chews on paws...spots on legs....scratches constantly. He has had hundreds of ear infections. He will start scratching areas until they are open, bloody, and oozing sores. It is a miserable existance for him...and he is only 5 years old. When he was 3 he got a catarac in one eye and is now almost blind in that eye. He cannot even find food on the floor when we give it to him. Not sure what to do for him. May ask vet to either find him a new home (who would want a scarred, blind, scratching dog?) or possibly put him down. We bought him from a breeder in Iowa. He was shipped here on a plane. Beautiful personality but just a miserable dog.
My last dog suffered from this so I understand how you feel. At times his feet would be sore raw and saw he literally couldn't walk on them unless he had some sort of protection on them, and for a while I did think that I might have to have him put to sleep as the suffering was too much.

I don't know what treatments you have your dog on but these are the things that I found worked for him.

Piriton - can be bought just over the counter at any chemist and worked well for reducing itchiness. He was a big lab type dog so was on 6 tablets a day but obviously that dose would be reduced for a smaller dog.

When things got really bad would also get antibiotics and anti inflammatories from the vets which eased things considerably.

CanAural ear drops regularly to keep ears clean and antibiotic drops from vets if they got really bad.

For his paws and tummy - Sudacreme and then kids socks on his paws kept in place with some velcro - believe it or not they were tolerated well and stopped his sore skin getting irritated by carpet fibres, grass etc.

Malaseb dog shampoo regularly and regular grooming.

Hypoallergenic diets (tried him on vegetarian dog food for a while which seemed to work well), NO treats, very careful with anything he ate as he seemed to react to lots of things badly.

For a while I even had him on completely home cooked food - mainly when he was having a flare up of symptoms - and would give him cooked fish, veggies and rice for a few days just to give his system a rest.

No cleaning products used on the floors - Shake n Vac, bleach, polishes etc were banned to the bin so he didnt walk on anything that could irritate his feet.

By doing all of the above his symptoms were more or less kept under control. We took him away camping and he was sitting outside the tent with pink kids socks on his feet and rapidly became the centre of attention :)

It was a pain in the bum at times doing all of the above, but worth it because it gave him a decent quality of life, kept the symptoms at bay or even totally free of them at times.

Hope that helps a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts