I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dylan's ears have recently started to smell like old socks. I can't see much in the way of wax or anything and I've used Clean Aural three times now, but they still smell. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I took Rosie to the vet when her ears smelled, as I suspected an infection. I was right, but she was also clearly bothered by them and trying to scratch them all the time. How is Dylan?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had one occasion a week ago when he rubbed them on the floor, but nothing since then or since I used the ear cleaner. But maybe a vet visit might be best.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
i would say go to the vet, just to be sure, he does like swimming in funny things..lol....I use the tropiclean ear cleaner on lady and it works AMAZING!!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
nice hot topic.. smell ears .... :)

I think I need to clean my dogs ears, I do wipe them out and pluck a few hairs out a couple of times week, but I was going to ask the vets for a recommended ear cleaner..

Anyone recommend a good ear cleaner and where to get it from please?

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Tropiclean ear cleaner works wonders....and there is a cocker on the label...lol

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
hey I have three dogs I can try them both :)

I love that Pet Head Poof Magic spray Mandy (embee) recommended ..it smells wonderful even on Oakley .. he can camp it up at the best of times!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so advocate ear cleaner... ha ha ha .. or not .. you are funny Helen :)
sorry- confusing :D
Meant that as Dylan is on advocate its unlikely that he has ear mites if I'm remembering correctly. Didn't intend for you to clean ears with advocate :p

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
sorry- confusing :D
Meant that as Dylan is on advocate its unlikely that he has ear mites if I'm remembering correctly. Didn't intend for you to clean ears with advocate :p
Ok I thought you were being funny, silly or crazy .... so I wont use advocate, I will give Tropiclean ear cleaner a go then :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks for the Tropiclean recommendations as I ordered some yesterday! xx

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
I was told by the dog trainer that smelly ears (she used 'cheesy' to describe) was usually a sign of ear infection.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i love quistle, as you just flood the ear cannal and rub the ears so any deep wax gets loosend off and comes out, so i do it in the evening then the next morning i go over them with a normaly ear cleaner on a cotton ball. if they are realy bad i repeat this for a day or two.

was recomended to me bye someone whos dog has bad ear problems, its the only stuff that helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is that the dry one that Fallon recommended?
Are you thinking of Thornit? That is a powder, it also helps with plucking the hairs from their ears. :) You can order it on the net, I just googled it.

I use Quistel, like Kendal it was recommended to me to :)

Ellie had ear mites even though she'd had advocate when we got her - something to do with the cycle of the ear mite and eggs that had just hatched - it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it! Yuk! :eek: x

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Izzy has had several ear infections - she scratches and they smell quite unpleasant when she gets infected, but the vet has never found ear mites. I have a cleaner from the vet 'Logic' and it works brilliantly. I have 'Surolan' ear drops for infections. I do think you should take Dylan to the vet to get checked as infection is common in dogs with these types of ears. A big kiss for Dylan, hope he doesn't mind too much, I have war on my hands as soon as the ear cleaner comes out of the drawer - but I am certain it doesn't hurt!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts