I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may be that it's because Dexter is still a cute puppy or because I have just met a big group of adorable cockapoos but I definitely think there is something very special about cockapoos! I wonder how the 'breed' was discovered- was it deliberate or a happy accident. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
From what I can see (google!) it was a happy accident that happened in a couple of different countries, not just the States. One thing I found was that in the US, the popularity of the cockapoo took off after the film, Lady and the Tramp - was one of those a cockapoo? It's one of the very few Disney films my kids don't have!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, that was my impression, but never having seen the film, I wondered if I had misunderstood. I couldn't see how Lady could be a cockapoo with that lovely smooth coat (unless she was related to Harley :D) and my memory tells me that the Tramp looked more like a schnauzer than a cockapoo or a poodle!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I know that the original cockapoo breeder,well one of the first was Mary foley who wrote the first cockapoo book and as far as im aware has bred cockapoos to tenth generation.Yes i agree cockapoos are very special and extremely addictive lol:)

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I'm pretty sure Lady is a cocker spaniel- I've seen the movie thousands of times! Tramp looks like a large crossbred shnauzer I think or maybe even a shnauzerpoo??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts