I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We are so excited, 6 & 1/2 weeks to go until we pick our puppy up, Barney! Simply can't wait and getting more excited each time I look at the lovely photos on here of all your cockapoos.

Any tips for a new puppy mum would be grately received!

Which Crate is best the cage type or the carrier type?

Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks
Julie xx

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Julie,

Oh, there are soooo many pitfalls. No, only joking, I can't think of any. I think the best advice I got was to decide what kind of house rules you want to be in place when the puppy is big enough to do damage/get on your nerves etc, and try to put them in place from the beginning. Everyone has different rules for their dog and as long as it makes the dog fit in to your life, then don't necessarily worry that you want to do something different. There's a huge variety on here - some use cages, some don't, some have the dogs in bed with them, some aren't allowed upstairs, some trained them with puppy pads/newspaper, some trained with cages made very small so the dog is naturally inclined not to soil the cage. And nobody, as far as I am aware has really had any major problems with training.

Just remember that they are babies and that sometimes things take time. But in a few months, someone will come on here with a problem that you had with your puppy and you will suddenly realise that your puppy hasn't done that for weeks!

With regard to the crate, do you mean the fabric ones, when you say 'carrier' type? I'd be wary of those as if your puppy is a chewer, he'll be through it before morning! We have one for Rosie for when we go away but I only bought it once she was used to her normal cage and through the really chewy stage.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get lots more good advice on here.

Louise (jealous) x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Julie,
I get my pup soon also,ive decided to crate train him (metal) im also going to follow the Before & after getting your puppy book by Dr.Ian Dunbar.

Im going to only feed my pup his food through his kong chewtoy this way he will be entertained all day (trying to get food) and also it says he will then become a chewtoyaholic if these are the only toys he's allowed to play with to start off with.

Hopefully stopping him chewing anything else.

Not sure if this is best thing to do but im a control freak so love following set rules etc

I had a nightmare first child and so with the second one i followed the Contented Baby book to the letter!! wow i never knew having a baby could be such a pleasure.

Maybe this way of raiseing a pup is not for everyone but for me im going to try it.

Hope this helps .

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Julie can totally understand why you are so excited. What colour is little Barney.. looking forward to meeting him. Dont think there is anything over and above that I think to add... but ask away if there is anything else someone will have an answer x

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Julie can totally understand why you are so excited. What colour is little Barney.. looking forward to meeting him. Dont think there is anything over and above that I think to add... but ask away if there is anything else someone will have an answer x
He's apricot, we saw him at 5 days old (well one of three apricot boys) we'll actually get to choose him nearer to 8 weeks.

The kids are so excited me too! Hubby's not so impressed but don't think it will be long before Barney wins him over!

Thanks I will probably be tapping you for tips.

Julie x:D

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
How many times people post about their husbands not being bothered... then I've got a "hello Princess " when he comes home from work and he aint talking to me ;)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My hubby was indifferent for a few days and then madly in love from then on. And I do mean with Dylan. It's a hard-hearted man that can resist a cockapoo :love-eyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
My husband was like that about our cat but I regularly hear him having cosy little 'chats' and cuddles with her first thing in morning before he goes to work. I just know he's going to be besotted with our new pup - but will pretend he's not!!!!:D

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
My husband was like that about our cat but I regularly hear him having cosy little 'chats' and cuddles with her first thing in morning before he goes to work. I just know he's going to be besotted with our new pup - but will pretend he's not!!!!:D
Gosh I really need to accept the fact that my eyes are ageing.... I read "car" not "cat".... I watched documentaires about that sort of thing :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on Barney!!

oh my goodnes Julie--we are supposed to get our 2 new cockapoos on the 5th and their names are Duke and Barney!! We love the names.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts